Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Google Earth - ups the ante on Google Maps

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Aug 6, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    http://earth.google.com/

Wow, this can waste a lot of your time. 3D terrain, supersmooth scaling and moving, rotate your angle of perception - good times. :D The system requirements are vague enough to be funny.

2. Hmmm... :meh: I heard it was a US army base!?...

[​IMG]

It is fun though... I can see my house, and my boat!

3. MurdocRocks

MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA
    I can't find mount everest.....

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Maybe not, but you can go to N32 deg 09' 00", W110 deg 49' 22" and see this. It's B-52s with their wings chopped off in accordance with a treaty with Russia. They're out in the open so the Russians can verify them with their spy satellites ... well they could, if any of them worked. There are all kinds of other planes out in that graveyard, including KC-135s F-111s, F-14s, F-4s, A-4s, A-10s, C-141s, C-130s and many others. Considering how much each of these aircraft cost (in millions) there's a lot of expired dough out there.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    And here's Everest.

6. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    I have google earth, and it's fun, but it's also kinda creepy...I dunno, something about being able to see basically anything in the world crystral clear just spooks me. Even so, Google has foiled the terrorists among us by blotting out the White House...even though you can see the Pentagon just fine :eyebrow:

7. Er, um - interesting shaped buildingÂ…

:meh:

- Wil

8. wow. that might be the coolest thing ever.

9. Does anyone know the coordinates to the great wall of china?

10. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, it is kinda creepy in a way. I posted in another thread how I can zoom right up into my swimming pool. Loads of fun though, god knows how much time I've wasted on this thing since I got it earlier this week.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Think about this: if something like that is a public domain free download, what do you think the government is capable of doing? :cool:

12. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    its definetly a cool program, but I'm not getting crystal clear pics like the rest of you. Maybe it is my slow 56k connection. But even when I wait for it to load up and clear, it isn't near what some of these are.

13. It's a great tool, and the elevation data picks up the most subltle elevation changes. The building tool is great in cities as well. (I've disabled it for the pic below however.)

Notice how they blurr the federal buildings in the pic below. Does anyone know the significance of this?

[​IMG]

14. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    you need to get the pics of the fed buildings from the russian earth google ;)

This was fun, I found my house, car and pool. my lawn probably insnt cut but atleast my pool is cleaner then the neighbors :) :hyper:

15. Hehe, my pool beats the neighbors' hands down--none of them have one! :p

16. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    It's always wondered why the capital was blurred but the whitehouse wasn't.

I love google earth though

17. Google Earth is an awesome program (as was Keyhole, the older version of this program). Funny how I never thought of looking up the wonders of the world or anything else that might be of interest. Let me take a look and see what I can find.

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Pretty neat! I found my hometown, but the map's too blurred for me to find my house.

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Much of Disney World (Orlando, FL) and Gainesville, FL are really cruddy pics and arent worth a damn.