Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Google Earth weirdness

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Sep 6, 2005.

1. [​IMG]

Wha?? This is somewhere in the Saudi Arabia/Jordan area.

2. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I believe that has to do with teh way those areas are irrigated. They have a central water supply and a rotating boom that sprays water. I could be terribly wrong, but that's my hunch.

It makes for a interesting photograph, that's for sure.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Sometimes the aliens make circles in crops, and sometimes they make crops in circles. ;)

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Circle Irrigation... Water is piped undeground to a pump in the middle. A long trestle with sprinklers extends out. the trestle is about 10' tall, and has supports with wheels every 50' or so.

Done in parts of the US as well.. Do a Google search in Eastern Washington, and you'll see much of the same. Some of the fields are 1 mile in diameter, so you can do the math and know how long the treste is.

Our local gold course used it... if you ball landed in the path worn by the wheels, you got relief...

In Eastern Washington, the Local Fish and Game departments will often lease the corners from farmers for wildlife habitat, since they aren't watered by the circle. I did a service project to renovate one to bring it back to some semblance of sustainable.

5. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    That's what the fields look like in my part of Nebraska. From above, most irrigated fields will look like that.

6. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just swings around in a big circle. See?

7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Wow, this is crazy I finally know this. I've flown over many areas in an air plane and always wondered what those were. Man I love talkbass, thanks guys!

8. Have you seen this? It's a lake in the middle of the US. It was so iced over, the camera took a reflection of it's internal CPU.

[​IMG]

9. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Woah!

10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    It's just north of Kansas City. Trimble Wildlife Lake

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Check out Area 51; you can zoom in some more, but this shot gives a nice overview.

[​IMG]

Search for Indiana Springs, Nevada,go a bit to the west and keep scrolling north. You should get there.

12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    1) That pic of Kansas is freaking awesome!!!

2) I CAN SEE MUNJIBUNGA FROM HERE...

13. That's a fake. Area 51 doesn't exist.

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Why, was it bored by what it saw? ;)

15. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    no.. All computers have an internal CPU..

It's that part of them that wishes they were still a pocket caluclator writing dirty messages upside down, and not up in space taking pictures of frozen lakes...

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Of course all computers have at least one internal CPU. I asked why the camera would photograph a "reflection of its internal CPU."

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Perhaps the ice from the lake created a mirror effect for the camera? Just guessing.

-Mike

18. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I was making a bad joke... ya know.. internal CPU... inner child??

19. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

OH!!!! Hahahahaaa....

That would have been a good joke had I gotten it. :rolleyes:

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Same here! Maybe "inner CPU" would've worked better. Or something that suggest an infant stage of the chip, like "inner silicon wafer." ;)