Google maps, pretty neato

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Apr 5, 2005.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Has anyone checked out Google Maps beta site? It's pretty neat and seems like a good interface.

The coolest thing is the satellite photos. Yeah I know that terra server site has been around a long time with satellite photos but I always found it less than user friendly to navigate and the picture that they had of my neighborhood was really eleven year old house wasn't even built yet in their pic.

On google maps type in your address and then click on "satellite" in the upper right corner. You can find an easy-to-navigate picture with an e-pushpin sorta thing pointing directly to your house. I don't know how new the pics are but they seem pretty recent. I can clearly make out features of houses and yards.

Do a search for "1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington, DC" now move over to the right of the White House and look at the building there. Interestingly there are two squarish areas that are pixelated out so you can't make out detail. Sniper nests maybe? Who knows... Wish I had the address for NORAD.

brad cook
  2. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Now that we've got you hooked, try keyhole!

3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Heh, that was pretty sweet.
  4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I'm a maphound. Way cool!
  5. Nice!! And the satelite is great, it's infinitely better than the 20-year old terra-server images.
  6. It kind of freaks me out I can easily spot my house on here. Cool though.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sweet....a free version of KeyHole.

8. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Maybe I should get a job there!
  9. The satellite=pwnage. Some areas are very low-res, but some are super-duper high-res. Good stuff. Excellent find.
  10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Dude. I found my moms house.... my dads house... my school... my ex's house.... my other ex's house... my other ex's house... guitar center... the mall... 711...

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  12. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i found my house then carried my laptop outside. i could see myself waving to the satellite on the laptop screen. weird.

:D :bag:
  13. Craigle

Craigle "Careful with that joke, it's an antique!"

Mar 10, 2004
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Great find, now for a stupid question, what's KeyHole?
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I looking at satellite photos of all your exs' houses IS creepy.

brad cook
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Cheyenne Mountain.

Can't zoom. Oh well, off to Roswell.
  16. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
  17. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    NORAD is inside a mountain in Colorado, you probably wouldn't see much of interest.
  18. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    But it's surrounded on the outside by all kinds of observation posts and whatnot. The picture that brad johnson linked definitely has some blurred areas.

brad cook
  19. Well, I just found Area51... It's in Canada!!!
  20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They got my house wrong. When I put in my address, it points to a house across the street and two blocks away.