Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Google vs. PayPal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Jun 18, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Google preparing to challenge PayPal

Those guys at Google are pretty slick. Take some time to see what is great, and not so great about PayPal, and then come out with your own version. MANY people hate PayPal, MANY people love Google. WOW!!

-Mike

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    <Vader> Impressive... most impressive.

3. Wow. :)

I'm impressed.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    We are about to go with this:

www.urchin.com

also a google product.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    excellent, it would be good to have a serious competitor to paypal.
    While paypal is fine, they have several policies which IMO they wouldn't have if there was a big competitor.
    For example, I have NO problem with the fees for credit card payments. Any retail merchant has to accept those as part of a cc transaction, so they are what they are - a necessary evil. In fact, one of my pet peeves is when people ask for the extra % for paypal payment - noone forced them to start taking credit card payments. But that's another topic...
    My main peeve is that once you start taking cc payments, you get charged fees on cash payments too. Should there be a fee? Probably, they're entitled to make money, but I don't see why it should be the same as the CC fee.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Google's becoming quite the evil empire.

I approve.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Omg.. Googles taking over.

Seriously. A few months ago (or more), google shares over here were about $85 from memory. They're now around the $300 mark from what I hear..

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    +

9. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I read an article on Slashdot dealing with this topic. PayPal generated about 23% of eBay's first quarter profits. If the Google Wallet takes off, it could take quite a chunk of eBay's cash. Should be interesting.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What is next?? GoogleBay?

-Mike

11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I hope Google will make that service available in my country. PayPal isn't, and that's the reason why I can't become a TB supporting member. The only way I have is sending funds through a bank (check or money order - not even Western Union) and that's a REAL HASSLE, because I must fill lots of forms and answer multiple questions. So annoying proceedings!

12. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Google is going to take over the world..

Bill Gates it not going to be happy.

13. here's the thing: no matter what google does, they do a hell of a job. i have no doubt that their new payment program will superior to all others.

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I will not be at all surprised if Google starts an alternative auction site.

Hell, they'll probably start they're own new and improved internet before long. Then it's on to alternate universes.

brad cook

15. screw paypal, the institution Google really needs to kill is TICKETMASTER.

and then Clear Channel.