Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Googled and SlashDotted!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Feb 5, 2004.

1. It's been a funny 2 days. Yesterday, Google linked their title graphic to an image search for Julia Fractals and I had two images in the top 10! My site was beat to the point of crashing (well, my site and the 300 others hosted on the same box! ). But, it pulled through. The bandwidth ended up going through the roof and I'm going to get charged for all of it! (I did agree to the terms though so I can't really complain).

I had the option of pulling the plug on my site and talked to my hosting company's owner for like an hour while we watched 400+ apache threads on the hosting box. I think he said it had a load factor of 11 but I don't know how bad that is. People tell me it's bad though. :)

I decided to keep the site up and plead for donations. I didn't want to pay the $100+ that I already owed on my own. It all worked out well. I got enough to pay for the bandwidth. I'll be taking the donation page down soon.

Oh yeah, then SlashDot picked up on the story because an australian server went down completely and the owner put up an amusing replacement page. They didn't mention my site though.

If you guys want to check it out and hear the long version of my story, you can check out: http://www.unpronounceable.com/julia/ .

I guess the reason I'm telling you guys is because I'm thinking about putting donation links on all my web sites permanently. I have paid thousands of dollars over the past 7 1/2 years on my web sites and they currently cost me $56 a month and that is going up soon. Do you think it's wrong to want to try to beg for money to recoup my expenses. Especially if it gives me incentive to update my sites?

For example, my site http://www.guitar-and-bass.com/ has been up for 3 1/2 years without an update. It has tons of stuff already but there is more I could do with it. If I put a donation link up and got like $40 a day from it, I'd be totally happy to resurrect it and post all the material. I guess this should be a poll but I'm just going to ask y'all what you think.

Sincerely,

Dave

P.S.
    Sorry if this sounds like a shameless plug. I guess it kinda sorta is. :D

2. Oh yeah, I should add that the banner ads at http://www.guitar-and-bass.com/ don't bring me any money in. The guys who run those companies are friends of mine. They do cut me good deals when I need them though.

- Dave

3. It means that there are on the average 11 processes in the queue waiting for CPU-time. 0.1 to 0.2 is " normal " :)

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I wouldn't see a problem with keeping a donation page up. If it's unobtrusive to the viewers and can aid you, why not? Does your webhosting service not offer unlimited bandwith?

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    There is nothing wrong with a 'tip jar' at all, especially if you feel your sites are worth peoples time.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Not to be the harbinger of doom here, but my band Dead Hand System has a tip jar system on our site, and haven't gotten a single donation. We give away free music, and no payola! You can try the donation thing, but I doubt you will get much (if anything).