Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Googlification?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I just did a search for my own website, www.benjaminstrange.net , and it comes up on the eigth page on Google, and only when I put quotation marks around "'Benjamin Strange". Is there a way I can get this thing moved up to the first page of search results? Any web developers out there who can give me some suggestions on how to generate more traffic through search engines and the like?

Damnit, Jim! I'm a bass player, not a web developer!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think you can talk to google. Their web robots have a system that they use. You can get bumped up, but eighth is really quite good! The bumping would probably cost you some money.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Get your site linked to from other sites. I think the number of page hits and links taken there from other sites ups your rating and gets you closer to the first page. My site is on the first page of Google when you look up Bryan R. Tyler, and this is what I've done, although I could be mistaken.

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Do a google search for meta tags and how to use them in your HTML code. Basically, these can be used as search terms to help direct search engines toward your site.

It's been so long since I've used them that I don't remember the exact syntax, but they are quite helpful.

Another thing you can try is that some search engines (I'm pretty sure dogpile does this, don't know about others) have a registration system where you list your site with them and that'll help you get further up in the ranks.

Sorry I can't be more help.

5. search for defeldus :D

6. for those of u who didin't search for defeldus, it comes up as defeldus's profile for talkbass. how cool is that?

*searching for "thinking of you"*

oh, great. i am thinking of me....and my credit card debt. *sigh*

7. Woohoo...if you look up bassman_spike it comes up with my profile to..
    Anyway to the topic...i think meta tags are the way to go like Eyescream mentioned

8. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Oddly, if you type "Eyescream" into google, you get a creative agency that does all the things I'm going to school for.

Nice site, too.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Hey! Basstriaxis comes up as #1 on Google as my TB profile too! Perhaps I should have named my site that, instead of my name.

And when I said 8th, I meant the 8th page of Google search results. That puts me around number 80, which aint' good. Poopy.

10. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Try the meta tag thing like I talked about. It helps quite a bit.

11. and the second link is my website. defeldus.vze.com :cool: