goooo(headphone jack)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ohmanohjeeze, Aug 15, 2002.

  1. ohmanohjeeze


    May 6, 2001
    tucson, az
    so anyway, i get to practice after finding out my car needs a new bearing (better than the guy saying it's the tranny), my fuel hose was spraying all over the place and should be dead, my fuel injector leaks and yeah....
    i get to practice and my amp isn't working.
    i think "gee the peak light comes on as if there were head phones in there, but there's no headphones in there"
    so i take it apart, get electrocuted, and find that something magically got jammed in my headphone jack.
    anyway,(after the complaining, i actually do have a motive for this post) now i have to shove something in the jack for my amp to put out sound.
    should i just not worry about since i don't use headphones anyway?
    oh yeah i own an ampeg b100r.
  2. Tom Crofts

    Tom Crofts

    Mar 15, 2001
    I'd still get it fixed properly if I were you, you never know how long a half arsed repair will last and it breaking halfway through a gig or whatever would be crap. Better to get it sorted whilst you have the chance.
  3. Hmm did you open the thing up whilst it was plugged in??

    Man dont you know amps are fiesty and if you do that when they're "awake" they will kiss you. :p

    Take it to a technician to have a look at it.

    No offense or anything....


  4. ohmanohjeeze


    May 6, 2001
    tucson, az
    yeah i thought it was unplugged, but i was wrong, oh well.
    why would i take offense?
  5. it is good to work on amps when there are plugged in (just not turned on at the wall) because if they are plugged in then they are earthed properly and static from you wont damage any of the componets in the amp.
  6. pkr2


    Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.


    That's the kind of misinformation that could EASILY cause someones death.

  7. BlacksHole


    Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    "That's the kind of misinformation that could EASILY cause someones death. "

    Gee, you say that as if it were a bad thing :D
  8. i am doing a certificate 2 in electronic's and we have been taught to leave anything we are working on plugged in...but SWITCHED OFF AT THE POWERPOINT as i said
  9. pkr2


    Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I am speaking from almost twenty years of practical experience in electronics.

    I would seriously question any instructor who gave that advice. I would insist that he show me that information in an accredited textbook.

    Back in the day :), television sets had an interlock cord that automatically unplugged it when you removed the back cover for servicing. All the techs had a power cord that allowed you to bypass the interlock and plug the set up with the back removed. That power cord was called a SUICIDE cord. Guess why!

    first of all, you are betting your life that someone wont turn on the switch while you are working on the device. The mains switch, or circuit breaker is seldom in view of the receptacle that it controls.

    You are betting your life that the building wiring is not faulty. I have seen more than one A.C. wiring circuit that had a back feed. By backfeed I mean the circuit is hot with the breaker off.

    Grounding the chassis of a device provides no protection to the components in the device. That's what grounding bracelets are made for. If you remove a static sensitive part from a grounded or ungrounded chassis you may destroy the part unless your body is grounded.

    If you need AC powered equiptment to repair the device, such as a soldering iron, light, scope etc., what do you do, run an extension cord from another room?

    Finally, when you post advice like yours you are not talking to trained techs who understand terminology such as "power point". The average member of TB will be better served by taking the safe route. In other words UNPLUG IT BEFORE YOU WORK ON IT. Your life may depend on it!

  10. I made a cable to ground PC's with. its a standard ISO 3 prong cable with the hot and phase legs removed, purely an earth ground. Still need an outlet tester to be safe. A good idea if your in a static rich environment with lots of IC chips. and no static mat to stand on. Also always use a wrist strap.

    For amps Its always unpluged and I will wait as long as I can for the caps to drain. Its just less painful that way.

    Switched off at the power point is great if the switch really cuts the power.

    There are alot of things being built lately (mostly PC type devices ) that the power switch only puts the system to "sleep" but there is still loads of power floating around in the thing.