1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GoPro Hero 5 Session

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bill_banwell, Dec 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bill_banwell

bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Hi Talkbass,

The reason i purchased this bit of kit was through Janek Gwizdala who highly recommended it on one of his youtube VLOG's, have started filming a few live gigs with it, and the video and sound quality is actually great!

Anyone else been using the Hero 5 Session?

Alik and Badwater like this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

haven't had the pleasure, but i'm glad you shared this: pretty neat!

i'd read some online reviews touting the video/audio qualities. neat little gadget.

nice playing! :thumbsup:

bill_banwell likes this.
  3. bill_banwell

bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I think they are great for the price - sometimes the audio quality can suffer but when on high res video quality setting the mix cuts through nicer!

JRA likes this.
  4. bill_banwell

bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Another clip, same camera, different gig/angle :)

Alik likes this.
  5. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    I've used one on my headstock, and it can be fun. As for sound, it is only as good as the placement, so it's crap on the headstock. Out front; much better. Best A/V solution I found on the cheap is the Shure Motiv MV88 mic ($120) on my iphone with a $10 movie app (adjusts aperture and exposure). Cheaper than the GoPro. If you have a Session, get a decent Gorilla tripod with the GoPro mount and set it up out front where results will be best.

6. mbasile

mbasile Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Or if you have access to the soundboard, hook up a recorder like the Zoom H4N and sync the audio/video later.

7. bill_banwell

bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I've managed to get a pretty good audio reference from having it on the headstock, I think its hit or miss to your general onstage sound!

I have a Zoom Q2N, need to start using it soon, the sound quality is meant to be miles better than the GoPro, its just a little bit more to hassle to setup and download media.

Alik likes this.
  8. Alik

Alik

Apr 13, 2013
    El Paso, TX
    The newer models by Zoom are way better than GoPro - the Zoom q4n and the q8. The last one has two little mics for stereo sound recording (4 track audio). Btw, they're cheaper too.

9. bill_banwell

bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Oh awesome! would be cool if they had an app? like the GoPro, just makes transferring files easier without a laptop!