1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gordi Bros Pub N Grub Gig, Crescent City California

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by rjake007, Dec 3, 2018.

1. rjake007

rjake007

Mar 9, 2018
    Baja, Oregon
    I'm pretty new to TB, but, in the spirit of @BassCliff, @esoxhntr and others that post their gig reports, I thought I'd share my first gig as a bass player and the debut of a project that I play in called Cut It Like The Kings. I've been playing guitar for about 35 years, but switched to bass because the group of dudes I play music with couldn't find a bass player (I found this situation to be common, but I'm hooked and now all I think about are grooves and pockets).

Anyway, we've been rehearsing for about 4 months and decided to put together a couple of acoustic sets, though all we really did was replace the electric guitars with acoustics, add a cajon and sit down on some stools for the performance.

We only played two sets totaling 20 songs - 17 covers and three originals. The covers are Black Sabbath, Alice In Chains, Radiohead, Coldplay, Oasis, Danzig, etc., - essentially REALLY mellow versions of songs by these bands (I have to say that our version of War Pigs is pretty cool - the drummer uses brushes!)

The venue - Gordi Bros is a popular little Mexican restaurant in my area. The owner is very pro-entertainment and loves to support local live music whenever possible.

Below are some pictures taken by me as well as the singer's nephew. We still have to work out a lot of bugs - too much time between songs, singer needs to work the audience a bit more (his own admission) - the little things that keep the energy going. We should probably dress a little better as well.

Anyhow, thanks for looking. Viva TalkBass!

The_Set_Up-1.

Here is the room about 30 minutes before we were about to start. Not looking so good. There was a massive rainstorm happening plus our local high school football team was having a rare Saturday night game. Looks like we might be playing to an empty house.
    The_Room-1.

Suddenly, people started showing up. Very good for band morale!
    The_Room-2.

A quick pre-gig meeting. That's singer John on the left, guitarist Allen in the middle and yours truly on the right. Gotta love the beer coolers within reach of the "stage."
    Pre-Gig-1.JPG

Not to be forgotten - our drummer Mason rockin' the full beard.
    Mason-1.JPG

John singing to the audience...
    John-Rob-1.JPG

... and acknowledging the dancer!
    John-Rob-2.JPG

Allen and Mason - focused and serious.
    Allen-Mason-1.JPG

Looking on with my Squier fretless. Those baggy eyes...
    Rob-1.JPG

Good shot of John mid song.
    John-1.JPG

... and we're done. Who wouldn't hire these guys (rhetorical question)?
    The_Band-1.JPG

We made a few bucks off of the beer sales and they fed us! All in all, pretty fun. We even scored a New Year's Eve opening act spot for another band that came to check us out.

My gear is pretty modest: Squier VM fretless, Fender Americam Pro Jazz, a GK MB115 (though here I went direct out of an Ampeg SCR-DI) and a pedal board with the usual tuner, compressor and chorus. But I have constant GAS and am always looking to add/upgrade.

Thanks again for looking. You may fire when ready, Gridley!

Attached Files:

Oddly, Mr_Moo, kesslari and 30 others like this.
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hey @rjake007!

That's a pretty nice first gig and report. I'm glad you got some peoples in the joint. It was looking pretty thin. Where's your NYE gig? That's very cool that somebody hired you to play NYE at your first gig. Impressive.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Mr_Moo, nixdad, dbase and 3 others like this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    ^^^^What he said!

Mr_Moo, nixdad and rjake007 like this.
  4. esoxhntr

esoxhntr Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Scoring another gig from your gig is always a win!

Mr_Moo, nixdad, Bunk McNulty and 2 others like this.
  5. rjake007

rjake007

Mar 9, 2018
    Baja, Oregon
    Thanks BassCliff.

The NYE gig is at a place called Latitude 42 Sports Bar & Grill in Harbor, OR. Never been there but know they promote a lot of live music. Should be fun!

6. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Good job. Looks like a fun project!

nixdad and rjake007 like this.
  7. Cool gig report, I like to read about other bands using cajon's.

Big win on the NYE gig.

Thanks for the report.

8. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Awesome! Nice looking shots, as well. (Black and white - impressive!). Looking forward to seeing more from you guys!

Mr_Moo, nixdad, dbase and 1 other person like this.
  9. Thanks for sharing. I found the first gig report to be the most intimidating. After that you start thinking of all the things you could've added or taken pictures of. Keep it up. And I'm glad that it went well and is leading to more gigs.

10. rjake007

rjake007

Mar 9, 2018
    Baja, Oregon
    Thanks @growlypants . Singer John's nephew is an aspiring photographer. He took those black and white shots. I like them - they look pretty cool.

Mr_Moo, nixdad and BassCliff like this.
  11. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Nice report and photos. I love plugged in acoustic stuff. :cool:

Glad you are enjoying the "conversion". Welcome to the world of pocket grooves! :thumbsup:

Mr_Moo, nixdad, dbase and 2 others like this.
  12. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    Great report and looks like a fun gig! The vm fretless is great. Onward and upward !

13. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Nice report! Looks like the band and the audience had a good time. I call that a win.

14. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    Great report on a cool gig! Thanks for sharing!

15. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Congrats on the new gig. Sounds fun. I like unusual/mellow treatments of heavy songs. Post vids next time?

Yeah you guys could dress a notch better for the "stage". That said, your band is in the running for coolest collection of other bands' shirts. Can't make yours out though.

What's the long band name mean?

16. rjake007

rjake007

Mar 9, 2018
    Baja, Oregon
    Thanks @Sore Thumb . I should have included pictures of the monsoon-like downpour that was happening at the time. I'm surprised anyone came out in that messy weather.

Mr_Moo, nixdad and Sore Thumb like this.
  17. rjake007

rjake007

Mar 9, 2018
    Baja, Oregon
    Thanks @McG . Yeah, I'm sick with it. My wife knew I was all in when I got a bass clef tattooed on my calf. I haven't been this inspired to play in years. Really having a good time.

Mr_Moo, nixdad, Sore Thumb and 2 others like this.
  18. smartinson

smartinson

Dec 15, 2005
    Longmont, CO
    Thank you for sharing. Looks like a nice fun, intimate venue. What are some songs in your setlists? I really dig your drummer's Kyuss shirt! \m/

19. rjake007

rjake007

Mar 9, 2018
    Baja, Oregon
    Hey @StayLow Thanks for the comments. The singer came up with the name. He's a big Elvis fan and had a band called Cut It Like Elvis back in Louisiana. He says it means to bring Elvis-level passion and intensity to the music. He changed it to "...Kings" to reflect his admiration for other artists as well. Definitely a unique name.

I'm with you on the attire. My shirt isn't a band name. It's the stoic Epictetus. I practice stoicism (in addition to bass!) as a life philosophy. Really helps me de-clutter my mind and make better decisions (or at least I think so... "Why, yes, I do need another bass!).

Definitely videos for future posts. Good suggestion.

Oddly, Mr_Moo, nixdad and 3 others like this.
  20. rjake007

rjake007

Mar 9, 2018
    Baja, Oregon
    @smartinson Mason the Drummer is an interesting dude; soft spoken with a similar drumming style (perfect for what we're doing) and wide range of musical tastes. Funny and fun to be around.
    Let's see, we did the Killers "somebody told me," the Johnny Cash version of NiN's "Hurt," "About a Girl" by Nirvana, "Would" by Alice In Chains, "Wonderwall" from Oasis, "Yellow" from Coldplay, "Blue on Black" by Kenny Wayne Shepherd, "War Pigs" and some others that are escaping my mind right now. We're going to add more Alice and some Queens of the Stone Age stuff to our list. It's been really fun reworking these songs.

Oddly, Mr_Moo, nixdad and 2 others like this.