Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gordian Knot - Emergent

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by geshel, Jan 13, 2003.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Got it Friday. Yaayy! :)

Sounds good so far. Muttersprache is still the standout, but it's biased because I've had time to get to know it. The opening bass solo, "Arsis", really rocks the subwoofer! Watch out.

It has a definitely different feel than the first album - nothing radical, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Makes good use of the new GW bass.

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    That ones on my list to pick up!!

3. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    You can get it off The Lasers Edge website..

http://www.lasercd.com

4. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Im excited because the members of Cynic are all recording together... If you've never heard the band (Cynic) they're definitely worth checking out.. BTW Sean Malone played bass on their only "official" CD: "Focus"

5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    :confused:

What do you mean? I've ordered from there several times and have never had a problem.

6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm still waiting for my import copy of "Emergent" to arrive, but I've just read an interesting piece of information from Sean's site regarding the overall theme of the CD:

Possible spoilers!

"It's been interesting to see some of the initial reactions - those who have spun the disc once or twice and posted their reactions as compared to GK I. As usual, the opinions run the gamut, from elation to boredom, but so far it seems the larger compositional structures present within and between the songs have gone unnoticed, but this will take time and repeated listenings. In fact, I don' t have any expectations per se that people will notice them, rather, a curiosity to see to how many levels deep listeners will be able to go in order to find some of the connections. Here's an easy hint, Arsis and Singing Deep Mountain share some obvious connection, and that connection creates a loop of sorts from beginning to end of the disc. Here's another: the German word for "Brook" will reveal an important relationship to the motif in "The Brook The Ocean". Also, if you listen very, very closely, after the third phrase of the opening section, there is something far off in the background (strings) which contributes to this structure as well. And those are just a few of the obvious ones...perhaps in the coming weeks I'll post some of the constructs (you can find many more hints in the CD artwork, embedded in the subtle layers of the booklet.)"

7. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.

I meant me. Pandora's Box and all that. No slight on what I know to be a good, honest, and well-run company was intended.

Prog can be addictive, you must know.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i have to plead ignorance here; who/what is Gordian Knot ?

What am I missing here ?

9. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Gordian Knot is the musical "project" of Sean Malone bassist, keyboardist and stick player extraordinaire. It's an all instrumental group that mixes prog metal and jazz fusion. Normally he has some heavy hitters on his collaborations including Trey Gunn, Bill Bruford, Steve Hackett, and John Myung. Definitely worth a listen. Here's his website:

http://www.seanmalone.net/

10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    LOL!!! Ok now I understand!! Yes, I know what you mean about it being addictive!!

11. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Got mine. Excellent !

I like that there's Jim Matheos on it too. Don't like it any better than the first one, but many seem to. I think they go well together.

12. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I still have yet to get it.... Had other stuff (divorce) taking priority..

Another recording Im eager to hear is OSI...

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    wow...never heard of this stuff before...after having checked out a couple sound samples, i have to say i dig it :D right on...

14. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    I really like the album, since I'm a cynic fan the sound of this album really appealed more to me than the last album. All over a great album that anyone who is into the new era of progressive, tech metal should check out.

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Funny, I still don't think of either album as "metal" at all.

16. Cynic is recording again!!!!WOW can't wait to hear their stuff..I Also want to check out OSI.

17. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

C'mon man!! Give details!! :eek:

OSI..... Great stuff!! Portnoy has redeemed himself.

18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just bought it today, and will immerse myself into it over the weekend. :)

19. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Picked it up yesterday... Not bad.. Not as good as the first one IMO, but good NTL.

20. I got it TODAY!!!

I had been looking for it at some local cd stores.. But hadn't thought about looking for it in the Death metal section.. And it was there.. funny thought.. but at least I got it.. It's short. but sweet. :)