Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gordian Knot

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Tecx, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I just got both of thier cd's in the mail.. All I can say is WOW!..

Sean Malone, Trey Gunn, John Myung... What else is there to say?.. My god what a team...

Alex

:bassist:

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Word!

:)

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'll have to check them out. What general genre are they?

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Rock, instrumental. Apply "progressive" if you want, and maybe "metal" (I don't think so but I've heard that one used).

Nothing way out there, good solid compositions, well played, a bit heavy sounding (varies from piece to piece).

You can download a "trailer" for the new album from his website, www.seanmalone.net.

5. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    MM, one of the best bands out there. By far.

6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I agree, one of the best... Actualy all of Sean Malone's projects are good - OSI, and Cortlandt...

And about the metal tip, ya Sean himself says that... I can see it at times but I wwwould say the metal is almost an undercurent, you have to look at the nuances to find the real metal in this album... So it works for everybody...

The new one has 2 GREAT solo tracks... The first track is just sean and his legendary fretless playing, and there is a track called grace that is a 8 minuet stick opus... Great stuff

Alex

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    If you can find it, try to get a copy of the CD "Focus" by the band Cynic.. SM's on bass and its a great disc!!!

[​IMG]

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yup, Cynic's Focus album is a true gem.

9. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I have been looking for it everywhere :(

Alex

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Check Ebay (but don't outbid me ;) )

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The psudo-review I wrote for the Stickwire mailing list that Emmett Chapman decided to use on Sean's Stick.com page pretty much sums up my feelings on the disc. :D

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  14. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I finally got one of the Gordian Knot Cd's the otehr day after having 3 of GK's downloaded tracks on repeat on my pc for a long time!

I've not listened it through a great deal but the standouts for me are code/anticode, singularity, reflections and Rivers dancing (has an amazing guitar solo, performed by Ron Jarzombek of Spastic Ink I beleive).

Ps - I too have his dictionary of bass grooves, a very good book with great summerisations of each genre :)