Gordo Club (Mike Gordon)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sleepy_monkey, Mar 21, 2012.

1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

roland um-one mk ii is the move.

Stranger Danger likes this.
  2. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I went the other way and dropped the C4.

Attached Files:

cosmicevan likes this.
  3. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    It was a great show

MarTONEbass and cosmicevan like this.
  4. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I’ll definitely look into it

5. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I just ordered one from Sweetwater, thanks for the advice.

cosmicevan likes this.
  6. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA

Let me know how you like it!

What did you not like about the C4?

7. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    It was fun to play around with but I couldn’t ever get the patches dialed in right for gigs. They would either be too loud that they blow out everyone or so low that it would disappear. One of the biggest things for me is ease of use. The FI, to me, is already easier to use. Ymmv of course, I think they’re both great. I think Mike had problems with the C4 as well IIRC. And he’s got more staff than I do, lol.

Benko likes this.
  8. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I found that Mike had a similar experience with the pedal on the NYE run of 2019. There were many times, especially in the first show, where mike would kick on a synth patch and then have to fiddle with his rig.

9. Anyone here running a Morningstar MC-6 for their FI? I’m wondering if I can run my FI and HX Stomp off of it.

10. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA

I totally get that, it is NOT easy to use. Have to hook it up to the PC just to dial the volume back, and even then, the uneven volume of the patches is not easy to balance. I haven't given up yet, though! It saves a lot of real estate on the board and I like that it can do so many things.

I DID notice Mike fiddling with pedals a great deal on the last tour, but I didn't think it was the C4. Putting 2+2 together, it sounds likely now.

cosmicevan and Stranger Danger like this.
  11. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To me, it was always when he was using a c4 capable effect and I knew he added it to his board...but I have no real evidence other than my eyes and ears which have been mistaken before.

As for synth pedals in general they arent really plug n play (well the great ones at least). They require some effort and time. There are some that are a few knobs and thats it but no oresets and kinda limited range.

I have heard people w great success w the morningstar mc-6 and the future impact. I use a Boss ES-8 to control my universe.

12. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I think the unevenness of volume and having to hook it up to the computer to try to rectify that was what made it difficult to continue to use for a live setting.

MarTONEbass likes this.
  13. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    I totally agree, although in the short term turning the mix and/or input knobs on the fly has done the trick for me. Then when I get home, I adjust it on the patch and store it.

Doesn't make it any less of a PITA though!

14. RexEverything

RexEverything

Aug 13, 2020
    My Deep Impact came with a volume knob that I couldn't adjust. Miraculously, it was set just the perfect volume. I've just been using the presets and they sound killer. I'm lucky. Considering not even fixing the volume knob because its at the perfect spot every time

Stranger Danger and MarTONEbass like this.
  15. jackietreehorn

jackietreehorn Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2020
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm going from memory here, so take everything with a grain of salt. There was a shot of Mike playing with Leo Kotke and he was playing, what looked to be, "the missing Doc". The in some social media something or other, Mike I believe disputed it was stolen. At any rate, other than the Dragon bass, he has (at least) one other Doc. In my opinion, who knows how many basses Paul actually made for Mike, if it was two, he has them, if it was more, maybe one got stolen. The bass the people refer to as the "Fish bass", which is often thought to be the stolen Doc is in Mike's possession (or at least one that looks very much like it). Some fan put together a document on the guitars of Phish, it's 2/3 about Trey, but the rest is about Mike's bass history with a ton of pictures. If you DM me, I'll send you a copy of it.

sleepy_monkey and cosmicevan like this.
  16. RexEverything

RexEverything

Aug 13, 2020
    What is Mike’s rig pathway?

I know he uses the Meyer cp-10, eden wt800 and Avalon U5. But what order does he do it all in? I feel like I read he sends his signal through the Avalon after the eden but I’m not certain

17. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    From one of his Instagram live videos, he mentioned that while the CP10 and Eden are still in the rack, the CP10 isn't in the signal chain anymore, and the Eden is now just used as a preamp. All primary tone shaping is now handled through the DSP in his Meyer speakers and controlled with a laptop/ipad.

If I had to guess, I'd say the Avalon is either before or parallel to the speaker DSP so that Mike can make adjustments to his sound on stage independent of what is going to the FOH.

18. RexEverything

RexEverything

Aug 13, 2020
    Interesting. Do you know where the ADA in that 2010 video sat in the chain?

19. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Selling an Eden wt550 if any Gordon heads are lookin

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021