Gordo Club (Mike Gordon)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sleepy_monkey, Mar 21, 2012.

1. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    I love my modulus but man I'm eyeing up a serek short scale or a muck. But I also did just commission a custom 5 string p bass.

Stranger Danger likes this.
  2. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    anyone have a decent tab for lawn boy?

3. Hop Jam

Hop Jam

Feb 16, 2013
    Birmingham, AL
    No tab but get your hands on a copy of the June 16, 2012 show (Bader Field/Atlantic City). Mike absolutely shows out with a super-tasteful bass solo with delicious tone in a first set Lawn Boy. If you don’t have other means, grab the Relisten app and you can find it there.

4. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    nice. I was there! have to check it out

5. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do yourself a favor and focus your learning on the summer 17 lawn boy. Your playing will be thankful that you did :)

Hop Jam and bluepeep like this.
  6. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    When he does he bass solos it's in what e? Lotta pentatonic runs is what I hear

7. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Drew, here is a chord chart. I am absolute garbage at this song and I've been meaning to brush up on it. If I figure out the solo, I'll shoot you a message.

Lawn Boy

Standalone likes this.
  8. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Been a fan of Gordon since I picked up Lawn Boy on cassette.

I recently got into Max Creek and am a Scott Murawski fan these days too.

MarTONEbass and hieronymous like this.
  9. Few things....looking for some Phish bass tabs. Anyone? I’ve been approached about jumping into an existing Phish cover band....it’s been a while.

Also, anyone have a copy of Farmhouse on vinyl they would like to sell to me?

10. Benko

Benko

Dec 16, 2014
    Tokyo, Japan
    I'd say there isn't an official and definite ressources (like emilstabs could be on the guitar), also a lot of songs are played slightly differently from the years and even from the day and probably how Mike was feeling that day.

Right now we have started playing Vultures with my band and I have not found any other way that to agree on a version that would be the main reference point and working it by ears, I also got our guitarist to give me the chords he plays (specially for the intro) so I can mimic the bassline.

Some of us on that thread are more on the "tribute" side, being exactly notes for notes correct, I ruled out that quickly given my level and now focus on getting the spirit and making our band sounds great to leave space for our guitarists. Not being a fan of Phish to being with it works well for me and to create a little bit our own sound

So far no one has ever complain about the bass after our gig :)

11. realmacaroni

realmacaroni

Dec 28, 2019
    Pgh PA
    @Benko are u in a Japanese Phish cover band?

12. Benko

Benko

Dec 16, 2014
    Tokyo, Japan
    Yeah we're all foreigners but based in Japan, we're probably the ONLY Phish cover band here :)

13. realmacaroni

realmacaroni

Dec 28, 2019
    Pgh PA
    word. I was imagining u as a bunch of Japanese tour vets from their couple trips over there

14. Benko

Benko

Dec 16, 2014
    Tokyo, Japan
    There is a jam band scene, more "recognized" band that flirt more on the Dead side, a couple of band that would throw some Phish tune in the mix, but it's pretty small for what it is in the USA. I'm personally from Europe where PHISH is also pretty unknown so...

Anyway, first gig after 15 months hiatus planned for beginning of June, so excited

realmacaroni likes this.
  15. Hop Jam

Hop Jam

Feb 16, 2013
    Birmingham, AL
    cosmicevan and realmacaroni like this.
  16. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Sent you a PM.

17. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    So I've been trying to learn Reba for the past.....let's say month or so.....even with a full transcription it's a bear!

I usually use studio recordings but the bass is really hard to hear in certain parts.

I'm wondering if anyone has a link to a live Reba where the bass is more forward in the mix? Any help is appreciated!

18. I have a huge tab collection of like every song.
    Lemme see if I can find the pdf

19. Yes please!!

20. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Yes please share

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021