Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Goregous Fretless Sadowsky.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Wow. :eek:

[​IMG]

I'm jealous of whoever has that! :hyper:

-Mark

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    One of the finishes that i am more fond of on Sad's. That fingerboard is dreamy.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A J-bass in P clothing. I love it!

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

5. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Guys, I'm really flattered! Thanks.

John Thurston, the luthier, was playing it the other day, and he didn't want to put it down, he was so impressed with the feel of the neck.

I can simply say it's the perfect bass for me. I always preferred P bodies because growing up, the P always defined what basses should look like. And, they somehow fit my body better.

And the tone on this, wow.

Wanna play it Friday, Ken?

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I can simply say it's the perfect bass for me. I always preferred P bodies because growing up, the P always defined what basses should look like. And, they somehow fit my body better.

And the tone on this, wow.
    :cool:
    Very nice.
    I feel the same way about the P-body.
    Killer Bass.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It's YOURS?? Oh man, I'm totally jealous. FYI, I recently posted the same picture in the "Who has a bass no one else has?" thread. Fretless Sadowsky P with J pups: that's gotta be unique. :)

Gee, let me think about that awhile and I'll get back to you. :D Seriously: I'm a fretted five string guy, but HECK yeah, I'd love for you to bring that beauty along, Kevin. I never dreamed I'd actually get the chance to check it out in person!

8. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
  9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    :eek: envy envy envy

10. i like the p bass style but not the jazz pickups.

but other then that its a real nice bass and i love the color
    fretless basses are so sexy to, i just dont play them yet :(

11. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Hey, Figjam, come on down to MD and you can play it too!

Pink Telephone, I gave a lot of thought to the pickups as well, since I was trying to design my ultimate bass. In general, I prefer P pickups to J as a rule. However, two factors pushed my ambivalence. First, I already had a Sadowsky PJ, so I can get the P tone whenever I need it. Second, the person I discussed it with most at Sadowsky was Kevin Drexler, and he was 100% positive that with a fretless set up this way, the Js would give the tone I needed.

After hearing it, I think he's right. You'd be surprised at the wide range of difference I can get between using the pickup selector and changing where I place my right hand.

12. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    kjones, are you able to post some sound clips?

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Now that is one hot bass.

14. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Steve, I'm gigging with it next week, and if something comes out clearly, I'll definitely put it up! I'll look around the hard drive and see if I have anything previously recorded.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Where are you located in MD? I'd like to check it out, I'm a fretless fanatic.

16. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Thanks. I have a fretted Metro MS5 and want to replace my frankenfender fretless with a better one. A matching Sadowsky NYC would be great. Although I've thought about getting a Metro and having Furlanetto defret it.

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Hot bass. Congrats

Rob

18. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Thanks, Rob.

Steve, I have a recording made of a thing I played at a few days after getting the bass. You should be able to access it now at:

http://homepage.mac.com/kevinclasing/FileSharing14.html

The recording isn't that hot as it's just a mic placed in the middle of the venue. Doesn't really pick up all the details that make this sound special, but it's all I got right now.

BTW, the guitar player took lessons from Fuzzbass' brother.

Brad, PM me if you want to meet up somewhere. I'm in Hunt Valley, not too far from where I understand Brubaker is (or used to be).