SOLD Gorgeous 3/4 scale D'Angelico Hollowbody

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by 3rdBass, Oct 24, 2018.

1. 3rdBass

3rdBass Funk in A Supporting Member

Price:
    Strings:
    Designed in the NYC workshop, the Excel Bass is D'Angelico's first-ever electric archtop bass. The single-cutaway hollow-body design makes it exceptionally light and its standard neck shape and Indian rosewood fingerboard provide ultimate comfort. Truly versatile in tone, this beauty boasts a traditional wiring design with a master volume & tone but with a custom installed pickup pan pot. The neck position offers the warmth of a vintage ‘60s hollow-body bass while the bridge position is powerful, bright and loud for when you need more punch. The slim C-Shape Neck makes for supreme playability free of wrist-ache.

Shape: Single cutaway
    Body: Semi-hollow
    Body material: Laminated flame maple
    Neck: Two-piece hard maple with walnut center
    Scale: 32.25
    Fretboard: Indian rosewood
    Inlay: Genuine mother of pearl
    Pickups: Specially designed dual coil humbuckers
    Binding: 5-ply
    Bridge: Gold Tune-O-Matic bass bridge
    Tail piece: Stopbar
    Controls: Volume/Tone/Switchcraft pan pot (custom installed)
    Hardware: Gold plated
    Tuning machines: Deluxe sealed
    Nut Width: 1.5"
    Input Jack: Switch Craft USA, protective plate (custom installed)
    Dunlop Straplocks(custom installed)
    Deluxe hard case

D'Angelico website specs & info:
    Excel Bass | Excel Series | D'Angelico Guitars

These photos with the 3-way toggle don't represent the custom pan pot replacement

D CASE.jpg
    BODY.jpg

With HSC, will split shipping to the 48 states only, PayPal preferred.
    Absolutely NO TRADES or insulting low-ball offers, please. Price is FIRM & fair.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    LowBSix, dave64o, Bigoo7e and 6 others like this.
  2. So both basses cost $850? They look lovely.

3. What kind of strings on the SG?

4. blacktocomm

blacktocomm Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    West By God
    That SG is too sweet.

5. HOTCARL

HOTCARL Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2018
    Bozeman, Montana
    Any trade interest my friend?

6. 3rdBass

How about a pair of powered PA mains with stands ?

7. HOTCARL

HOTCARL Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2018
    Bozeman, Montana
    I'll get right on that! GLWTS!

3rdBass likes this.
  8. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    Is this bass still available?

9. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    I’d love to, but I’m in a “trade only” financial position right now, and while I have a bunch of basses and bass gear, I do not have powered PA mains with stands!;)
    It’s certainly a nice looking bass. GLWTS!

10. 3rdBass

Will split shipping to the 48 states only.

11. flybynight

flybynight

Sep 2, 2007
    CheeseLand

12. flybynight

flybynight

Sep 2, 2007
    CheeseLand
    I see this is an old(ish) listing, though recently updated. Still available? Price shipped to 53705?
    Does it really have that nifty purfling on the top? What year was it made? Thanks!

13. 3rdBass

Yes, it's still available. I'm the 2nd owner, had it for about 2 years. The first owner purchased it new 2 years before that so, I'd estimate it's a 2015 model. Check your PM's for the FedEx shipping quote and total price. And, if you mean the "nifty purfling" on the headstock, it surely does have it. The craftsmanship and attention to detail are superb. Here's a clip from a 2018 Bass Gear review:

"On top of the headstock is a gold pin and, emblematic of the company’s New York legacy, the truss rod cover (called the “Skyscraper Truss Rod Cover”) is in the shape of – you guessed it – a skyscraper. What’s really cool about the aluminum truss rod cover’s 3-dimensional cut-shape is when the unique feature of the Hotel’s high-points catch the gig lights and create a strikingly unique accent on the headstock."
    DangelicoHEADfront.jpg

14. flybynight

flybynight

Sep 2, 2007
    CheeseLand
    The "nifty purfling" I referred to was the stuff around the body, per the photo marked "full". I am familiar with D'Angelico's work, for I once lived around the corner from his shop on Kenmare (back in the 60s) and would stand in the entrance and drool. A friend bought one of the few flattops D'Angelico made.

15. 3rdBass

Oh, the flame maple top or the binding ?
    00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200121161843650.jpg 00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200121164207503.jpg

Attached Files:

16. flybynight

flybynight

Sep 2, 2007
    CheeseLand
    The binding. That's called "purfling" (Purfling is a narrow decorative edge inlaid into the top plate and often the back plate of a stringed instrument. Inexpensive instruments may have no purfling and instead simulate the appearance with paint. Purfling was originally made of laminated strips of wood, often contrasting in color as a visual accent. Wikipedia)

My 2002 Les Paul R9 has plain white (probably) plastic, my 1942 Gibson SJ has 3 parallel lines, my 2005 Phoenix Mandolin has white wood, and my '77 Alembic Series I has none at all.

The Martin D-28 is sometimes called a "herringbone Martin" because the purfling is an edge binding that is in a herringbone pattern, instead of parallel straight lines like on your bass (my '72 Alvarez-Yairi is essentially a copy of a D-28).

17. 3rdBass

SOLD

18. flybynight

flybynight

Sep 2, 2007
    CheeseLand
    I have not vanished. I had my surgery Wednesday, but ended up in the emergency room Friday. I’m flat on my back now but will do the deal ASAP. May we correspond by email? I am [email protected]
    Sorry... and thanks.
    Gene Rankin