gorgeous ebay Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silentstranger, Feb 7, 2003.

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2504923915&category=4713

:eek: I'm drooling...
    I'm usually not blown away by Fender Jazzes, but that's one of the most gorgeous J's I've ever seen. And as far as I can tell from the pics, it's in flawless shape! I find it really hard to believe that's actually a '75, anybody know how to interpret Fender serial #s? Maybe it's a '75 reissue? Gah...[picking my jaw up off the floor and returning to work...]
  2. Worth every penny, that I don't have.
  3. You want a Gorgeous Jazz Bass?

*Praises the Sadowsky Vintage 5*

All haiil Roger!
  4. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Its not really the same. when you find a beautiful Fender its like finding a diamond in the mud
  5. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Looks like a 75 reissue, and I think the N9 serial number means it's a 99. It is pretty though, and I'm not usually into red basses.

Of course, the Sadowsky is in another class. I think I'm becoming obsessed with Sadowsky jazz basses. This is not a good thing.
  6. Well, since you're offering I guess I could take it off your hands for ya...;)
  7. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Haha, you got that right...I am so poor i avoid every sadowsky thread i see just to protect myself!:eek:
  8. I believe it is a custom shop, because they mentioned Corona factory, and the American Corona factory was just introduced like 10 years or less ago.
  9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Every Custom Shop Instrument has a Custom Shop Decal on the back of the headstock. Somthing seems fishy about this bass. I've never seen that color on a '75 RI....
    ...and Fender dosent sell direct.
  10. I too, have some reservations about the accuracy of this guys statements. I could be wrong about these things but somethings a bit fishy:

· The claim that the fretmarkers are marble sounds dubious. From the pics, the markers look to be standard MOP or whatever Fender used at the time. Secondly, marble is extremely difficult to slice into pieces thin enough to use as an inlay like this. It can be done but I don't see the Fender factory ca. 1975 being able to do it.

· The tuners appear wrong to me. Mid 70's Fenders like my own 1976 P still had the tall elephant ear tuners. No rivets, just tall. These are the shorter style used in later years. Also, the ears on Fender tuners gracefully narrowed down to the shaft and blended with the shaft diameter. These are squared off at the bottom of the notch like less expensive overseas versions. I've got a set of early 80's black Fender tuners on my MIJITSO '62 reissue and they have the height and graceful taper where the ear meets the shaft. Additionally, IIRC, tuners of this era were still nickel plated. The color of these doesn't appear to be the same as nickel but rather more like chrome. Nickel also get a patina after not too many years and these don't have it. Of course they could have been polished but then the color would characteristic of the nickel.

· It might be picky, but for an original case, I see little or no evidence of the usual "crush" that the strings, neck and other parts would impart to the velvet lining after nearly 30 years of use.

I think there is something bogus here.
  11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    IMO, it's a Re-Issue because of the serial #. N9419425 But I've never seen a RI that color. The N9 signifies that the bass was made in 1999. Fender started using this type of dating cose in 76, I believe & ir was S6123456. In 75 & earlier the serial # was on the back plate.

BTW, I think the bass looks really awesome!!!!! The only way to find out would be to call Fender. Who knows, it's might of been a special run for Mars Music before they went under or something & their arent too many in circulatuion.
  12. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Neck binding. Ooo. Ooo.

I'll bet his use of marble is descriptive rather than an identification of the material.
  13. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    and the seller is now calling it a '75 reissue. Pretty sweet lookin' instrument IMO. Paint job is suppa schweet.
  14. do rosewood-board J-basses from the 70's have the skunk stripe as on that bass?

I thought that only late 80's/early 90's American J's and new Mexican J's had the skunk stripe on rosewood board versions.
  15. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    My '75 with rosewood board doesn't have a skunk stripe.
  16. While I admit that that is a very nice Fender, I also like the Sadowsky a lot better.

I have to stop coming here.:eek: