1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gorgeous Sadowsky Finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stingray_EB, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

For months I have been trying to get a certain Sadowsky out of my head but its impossible. I am of course talking about the bass that Brian Marshall of Alter Bridge uses. I dont know if I would call it a signature bass but its the only one I have seen ever.

It is a stunning instrument and sounds just as good as it looks (Saw them live about a year ago and he used it then).

Rob over at Sadowsky told me it was a custom NYC Vintage 5 but I am curious if anyone could specify the finish on this beauty ?

So here it is:

04-alter-bridge-102707.

2. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    It's an electric upright! :D

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Looks like a standard amber finish with a slight burst on flame maple. Nothing too crazy.

EDIT: After exploring a bit around the Sadowksy site, I'd say it looks like it's the Caramel Burst finish.

Did you show that picture to Rob? I'm sure he could have ID'd it very easily.

4. Lol witty.

5. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZ BENZ
    +1 Flamed maple Top. Black Hardware. Even the Control plate! Looks like an Ebony Board too!

6. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I'm a big fan of the low/mid punchy sound that's on Alter Bridge's Blackbird recordings. IMHO that's a great example of how bass can be present and a integral part of a contemporary rock mix without a ton of effects tinny scooped mix.

7. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    It's caramel burst. I owned this one ... better pic of the same colour:

IMGP0231.

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I think it's just the angle and lighting. The board looks more like a rosewood board to me (hints of reddish brown if you look closely).

That black plate is pretty schnazzy though.

9. dragonbass

dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    ........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder..........................................................
    Yes, Thats our Caramel Burst Finish. Might be a Brazilian Rosewood Fingerboard, but I'm not sure.

I guess "Custom" was the Black Hardware on a Vintage model.

Talk about High Action....Look how high his "B" Saddle is! (well... all his Saddles) Damn!

Rob

10. Very nice there, I cant make my mind up if I like the flamed or the quilted better.

11. Hah! there's daylight on that B at the 15-18th frets.

I've been going the wrong direction . . . damn again.

12. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound Endorsing Artist: La Bella Strings
    Caramel Burst I guess?!

Nice looking bass!

13. why ruin such an awesome bass with a non maple fret board?:rollno: :bag:
    :p

Gimme that with a maple board and I'd be happy for life

14. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic