Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GORGEOUS Samick 5 Fretless - Can anyone identify?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akuma12, Aug 23, 2005.

1. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I found this beautiful Samick 5 string Fretless on Ebay and I was wondering if anyone recognized the style and knew when they were produced.

Linky!

Also, anyone know what other luthiers make their basses with that hollow headstock style? I really like it but it's hard to find. Is there anything bad about that style? In the picture it looks like the strings are held at a bit of an angle, so I dunno how that would affect the intonation. Thanks for the help!

Jim

2. Nikolai

Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    Ugh, the headstock reminds me of the type the bassbuilder whom's name i cannot utter uses..

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Wishbass uses the headstock, so does chris stambaugh.. that samick reminds me of an F bass.

4. That angle you refer to doesn't affect intonation but it does help with keeping sufficient downforce on the nut to eliminate rattling strings

5. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    +1 on the f bass comment

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've played that model before. It sounds pretty good actually. If yoou can get a good price, it will be a decent bass to own.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You can't say "GR" ?:p

[​IMG]

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Yeah, I saw that bass on Ebay and thought it looks like an F bass with a Stambaugh headstock. Can't say anything about the sound, playability, or construction, but it's a cool looking bass imo...

Marshall

9. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Do you happen to know if that was recent? I checked Samick's website and it doesn't seem like they have anything like that anymore. I've been looking around for a 5 string active fretless and this seems perfect. I may not get this one but I'd like to see if I could find it again.

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Would this bass be a 34 inch scale I'm assuming?

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I think that's one of the Greg Bennett models... I have a Samick ES-175 style jazz box at home.. Not a bad guitar

12. He told me he doesn't really like or advise using that kind of headstock, but will make whatever the customer is willing to pay for. Disadvantages to this style would include awkward string changing &(possibly)difficulty in finding a case/gig bag to fit. I like the Samick, BTW.