Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gorilla Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jesica, Jul 29, 2001.

1. jesica

jesica

Jul 13, 2001
    USA, MI
    Does anybody know anything about Gorilla Amps? I am thinking about buying one.(the Gorilla GB-30)

2. I have tried one before and wasnt too impressed. But if you like the sound that comes out of the little speaker, go for it! Personally I like an amp with a little more power, even for practice by myself.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I had one of those pieces of crap.
    You will be better with a Peavey Microbass.
    The Gorilla GB30 Sucks to hell. EQ does nothing and the Funk switch sucks.
    I even made it blow one day.

The Peavey Microbass is better constructed, sounds better and the volume its mighty for its size.

4. Amen. Gorilla Amps are bad things, there are many other far superior choices for a comparable amount of money, as the others said, a Peavey Microbass is a good choice. Hell, even my Rogue is better than the Gorillas I've played through. (Don't get a Rogue though, I was just making a point.) :)

5. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    Gorillas are the cheapest of the cheap, the worst of the worst. Any money you spend on one will be money wasted.

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Doh...

I liked mine.

Of course I was 15 and it was my first amp. :D How much are you gonna pay for it?

7. jesica

jesica

Jul 13, 2001
    USA, MI
    i'm was going to pay $129.99....and guess what.. i'm 15 and this would have been the first amp that I own!! Right now I'm using one of my friends old amps.

8. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    $129??
    I paid $58 when I was 15. (Thats the cost to the dealers)
    Im just telling you because it is the only thing I wouldnt even recommend to my worst enemy.

PLEASE DONT BUY THAT PIECE OF CRAP!!

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    $129 could get you the Fender bassman 25 used. And you will like it better. Good luck.

10. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I've had mine for about 15 years and still really like it. It's *only* used upstairs in my practice room, but I gotta say, it's got a nice sound.

11. I just got one at GC for 25 smackers and while the funk bass switch has fuzz to it, I actually really like it overall. Just for playing around the house I think it is perfect.

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You've been a member since 2001. And after all this time and all the millions of threads available to you on the subject of budget amps and whatnot, you somehow arrive on a criminally overpriced offering by crap-shop-level brand Gorilla?

I just do not see how this is possible.

13. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    This thread is from 2001

SherpaKahn likes this.
  14. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh man, that's hilarious, and my foot tastes delicious.
    I looked at the last post and assumed the thread was recent. Oh boy.

SherpaKahn likes this.
  15. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I do that ALL the time!

16. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i think gorillas suck in a special way, my x girlfriend played in a fairly big all girl punkish band and later a pretty well liked alternative band and she always played her pbass with the gold pg through a tiny gorilla guitar amp mic'd through the house PA

17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

18. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    What are the names of the bands if you don't mind me asking?

19. peakdesign

peakdesign

Aug 25, 2008
    I picked up a GB30 for $25 on ebay, and it's a simple and adequate transistor practice amp if you don't rely on it for generating your "tone". One of the rubber bumper legs is missing, that adds a certain vintage lilt, and ... you just gotta love that Funk Switch ;-) I'm not sure why it's so despised, unless of course you paid say $140 for it, in which case you're probably still working out the Funk Switch, and it's not the amp that's defective.