1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gorilla Glue OK to use for grounding foil?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Yes?

Just, you know, to glue it to the inside of the cavity.

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Would have been better off to get foil with conductive adhesive backing as sold by Stew-Mac or Carvin (best price, same stuff).

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I dunno... that stuff expands like crazy... you could end up with a foamy mess. Also it dries very hard and is insanely strong, so you'd have a tough time redoing it if you had problems.

The adhesive-backed stuff is easier to work with, but is not a necessity. If you want to stick with foil, I'd use contact cement or 3M Super 77 spray.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I second the spray idea. Mask off everything else, including the holes where the control pots go through. Then push in some Al foil and trim when it's dry enough to stick.

5. Gorilla Glue is similar to the PL Premium I use to build cabinets. Insanely strong, expands to fill voids; these are great qualities for a speaker cabinet or other permanent work.

If you have to remove it for any reason, you will be removing wood from your bass also. It ain't gonna let go.

Contact adhesive, RTV, etc are more forgiving. Once the shield is in place (under a pick guard?) it won't be subject to mechanicl stress, so a high strength adhesive isn't warranted.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Glad I've always used the adhesive foils instead of discarded tin foil hats and hershey bar foil.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Another alternative is the conductive paint.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I think we talked about that awhile back. I had an unusual project that was difficult to do in foil so I had to splurge in the vastly more expensive conductive paint, ending up with 4/5 of a can left over that I hopefully can sell to a local luthier so it won't sit on a shelf for ten years or more ; }

9. woof*

woof*

Feb 3, 2006
    ive always use plain old rubber cement. works fine,stays put and if you wanna remove its easy.
    :)