Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gorillaz bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SnakeAnthony, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Does anyone here know who played the bass on the new Gorillaz album, Demon Days? I know the fictonal character is Murdoc, but I'm talking about the real person.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Morgan Nicholls :bassist:

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    gorillaz have mad skillz :ninja:

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    +1 :cool:

5. Great music. Bassist is good with cool style, but its all pretty simple. Take 2 or 3 hours out of your day with your bass, and any of their albums. Work at it and you should have it all figured out. I have all of Demon Days down, and I'm just now going back to the self-titled one.

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I believe all these guys are in different bands and put together the whole cartoon thing for the project.

7. I like the Gorrilaz. Its very different from anything i have ever heard. Very original but very basic. I like basic music though. Like nirvana. Well I thought the gorrilaz was all one guy that played all the instruments and sang. I'm not positive but im pretty sure.

8. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    You belive correct. Blur's Damon Albarn is the driving force behind it.

9. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    So who was the real bassist on this album?

10. i believe that jerry said it

i heard that tina weymouth was involved...did she ever play any bass or did she just do behind the scene stuff?
    (granted just about every aspect of the gorrillaz is behind the scenes though :))

11. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Evanston, IL
    i always thought the bass player came from blur as well....oh well....the gorillaz are sick!

12. Morgan Nicholls is the live bassist. As mentioned above, the recordings probably feature a number of people.

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    It doesn't really sound like the guy from Blur (just remembered his name, it's Alex James) as his lines tend to be busier, but I might be wrong.

14. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I read an interview with Tina Weymouth and she said she only did vocals on the album , maybe even some guitar . She said she never played bass on it though

15. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
    The vast majority of the bass on the first album was a old studio one bass player called Junior Dan, some bass was also played by Damon Albarn - "Punk", maybe others.

Morgan Nicholls played on the second album.

16. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Along with Jamie Hewlett, creator of Tank Girl. Albarn is the only permanent musical member of the group.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

He is now busy as a cheese farmer and writes articles - I don't think he has time for playing any more!

18. naiko

naiko

May 11, 2008
    Santa Fe
    Hi there. After listening to this live video

, Morgan Nicholls´s tone blew me away and it´s pretty close to what i play like. I´m needing some help figuring out the gear (specially pedals) he´s using. I know for sure it´s an status bass.

19. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    I thought Paul Simonon was playing with Gorillaz. But seems like i'm 2 years late here.