Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gorillaz

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ryan morris, May 31, 2001.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    i think this article says it best:Conceived as the first virtual hip-hop group, Gorillaz blends the musical talents of Dan "The Automator" Nakamura, Blur's Damon Albarn, Cibo Matto's Miho Hatori, and the Tom Tom Club's Tina Weymouth and Chris Frantz with the arresting visuals of Jamie Hewlett, best known as the creator of the cult comic Tank Girl. Nakamura's Deltron 3030 cohorts Kid Koala and Del tha Funkee Homosapien round out the creative team behind the Gorillaz quartet, which includes 2-D, the cute but spacy singer/keyboardist, Murdoc, the spooky, possibly Satanic bassist who is the brains behind the group, drummer Russel, who is equally inspired by "Farrakhan and Chaka Khan" and is possessed by "funkyphantoms" that occasionally rise up and provide some zombie-style rapping, and last but not least, Noodle, a ten-year-old Japanese guitar virtuosa and martial arts master. The group's website www.gorillaz.com showcases Hewlett's visuals and the group's music in eye- and ear-catching detail. Gorillaz debuted in late 2000 with the Tomorrow Comes Today EP, which they followed early the next year with the Clint Eastwood single; their self-titled full-length debut arrived in spring 2001 in the U.K. ~ Heather Phares, All Music Guide

2. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    but anyways, i love that song "clint eastwood". has anyone heard anymore of their songs?

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    it´s like the happier-funkier version of another super proyect... UNKLE, with Thom Yorke, DJ Shadow, Mike D, Richard Ashcroft and tons of other people...

I have that album... i´m thinking of getting the Gorillaz... i didn´t know Tina was in there.

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The first single, 'Clint Eastwood', has done very well here in the UK charts. The album has had great reviews and has been hanging around the Top 10 since it was released.

I have seen the video for the second single, but I don't know what it's called. A remix of 'Clint Eastwood' gets played a lot in nightclubs.

Gorrilaz are touring the UK over the next month or two - apparently, the stage will be occupied by projector screens showing the animated characters, with the real band playing behind, out-of-view.

David

5. I thought I recognized the voice of Blur's lead singer in there.

Clint Eastwood is a pretty cool song with a cool video.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i thought the first single was "Tomorrow comes today" (pretty cool)

7. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    I'm happy, I feelin' glad I got sunshine in a ba... dammit, it's stuck in my head now!