Gosh-dern Nickel allergy...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HotTubesGrooves, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Geez I cant wait till my fretless arrives... My hands are a state because i'm allergic to nickel and my rockbass has... nickel frets. I use Rotosound swingbass strings and these are apparently 100% nickel free, so I can only assume its the frets that do it. Its only my left hand too... Does anyone else suffer from this? And if so do you have any tips to help eliviate the problem?
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Honestly, do you have to say God-Da** in the thread title? :rollno:

3. Didn't think about it, sorry. Its not really considered profane where i'm from. Will edit it out now.

Mind you, as my left hand has the consistancy of raw meat at the moment due to the above, I do feel like swearing... :smug:

I just tried to edit the title in case it causes offence, but cant work out how to do it. Can a moderator please do this for me? Thanks.
  4. My only suggestion is doing a little research. Find out if you can buy frets that are made from a different metal, If so have your bass re-fretted.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Get a warwick, bell brass frets. A real warwick.
  6. Like I said, hopefully my (real) Warwick Streamer Jazzman fretless will arrive next week.

I was thinking more of ways to encourage the rash to go away and the hands to heal, whilst still playing? I've tried E45, Eumovate and Betnovate hydrocortisone cream but it doesnt really help. I cant remember the last time my left hand was totally clear and pain free, must be over 2 years ago now. Its not a problem that is really documented on the internet either, not in terms of bass/guitar players suffering from it. Maybe I should set up a website about it.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Next time use, "gol-durned, dag-nabbed ..."
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Maybe it's a Sign that you're supposed to be a pianist.
  9. Pianist? Ha! :rolleyes: Although I wouldnt mind playing it on the side I'll grant you...

Been playing (and loving) the bass since I was 10, and I sure aint gonna stop anytime soon, even if my hands fall off... Didnt suffer this problem for the first few years, but then after prolonged exposure to nickel bass strings I developed the allergy (or so the doctor tells me).

Dont worry all you who play nickel strings though, apparently you have to be succeptable to it in the first place for it to develop... Hell, I prefer the sound of stainless anyways ;)
  10. I have a slight nickel allergy or sensitivity. I had a ball chain around my neck that would constantly get irritated- after the plating wore off, the balls must've been made of nickel and the nickel irritated my skin.
  11. I would suggest then that you try to avoid nickel, because once the full blown allergy is triggered in your hands you've got it for life. Switch to stainless strings if you dont already use them.
  12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Now hell, huh? Workin' your way up to the F-word?
  13. Do you guys in America seriously consider "hell" to be offensive? :confused: Its just part of the everyday vocabulary round here, just a way of putting emphasis on somthing. Sorry if any of the vocabulary I use is taken the wrong way, it just comes out naturally I guess.
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Munji's yankin yer chain.

Gol-durned it!
  15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Heh ... I test the waters myself upon occasion. I've been outed.
  16. I have a nickel allergy too. One thing to keep in mind is that almost EVERY metal and/or plating has some nickel in it, even high quality gold. Try to minimize your exposure to other sources besides just the frets on your bass, since the exposure during the day is cumulative. Generally any metal (probably short of high quality stainless steel or titanium) that touches your body adds to your sensitivity.
  17. In case any nickel allergy sufferers are out there, just to let you know... My fretless arrived about a week ago, and I have been playing just that with Rotosound swing bass stainless steel strings. (I contacted rotosound ages ago and these strings apparently have 0% free nickel).

What was a very painful and red rash on my left hand has completely cleared up - I guess it really was the frets in my rockbass causing the problem. I have had the rash on my left hand without respite for 2 solid years! Its amazing how fast it has gone, after removing the cause of the trouble.

So... if you have the same problem, think fretless! :bassist: I will be getting my little rockbass refretted with bell brass fretwire once I have contacted warwick to make sure its totally nickel free.

Peace. :smug:
  18. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

That's harsh dude... I feel for ya! If I was allergic to anything on my bass (or anything I'm in to!) I'd cry myself to sleep every night :| You got my sympathy :(