Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GOSPEL bass players and SECULAR music.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I would really like to here from all the bass players out there who play/don't play gospel music your feelings on...

1: should people who play gospel music not, or should play secular as well?

2: those who do not play gospel music, would you have a problem with seeing a person playing gospel music one minuete, and then playing secular music the next. (would you question their relationship with God)

The reason I ask is because I have been in those kind of conversions before and I do play gospel, I have never desired to play for a secular band, but that does not mean I would not if that was my way of making a living, (which many gospel bass players do!) my main concern is are others really effected spiritually by those who choose to do both. I have heard good points from both sides. Please can we share our opinons without slamming or passing judgment on either side.
    PEACE, LOVE, AND RESPECT TO ALL!
    SERVE IT UP

2. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I play in a church praise band and also in an outreach ministry band. In the praise band on Sunday morning, it's strictly praise/gospel music. It is in a church afterall. In the outreach band however, we play all kinds of venues. Our last outing was at a speedway vendor's row during a race weekend. We mix it up with a variety of gospel and secular in order to more effectively connect with those who haven't heard the message. It's not unusual at all to play "Lord I lift Your name on high" followed immediately by "Sweet Home Alabama" and I see nothing wrong with it. We do have some restrictions on singing any secular music that would be "distasteful" and contradictory to our intentions, ie references to sex/drugs/violence etc, however we still manage to mix it up pretty good and I believe we are reaching more people this way. At a recent event we were able to pass out over 15,000 pieces of literature.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    1) Yes. Why not? You do other things that are secular too, right?

2) No. Not at all, see above.

BTW: I'm an ex-catholic, born-again atheist. :)

4. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Think about something, this effort to remain "purely religious" or "only about the business of the church, therfore we become a recluse" is in itself contradictory. Who did Jesus hang out with? The aristocracy? The rich and well to do? No, he was the kind to seek out the down trotten, the outcast. Putting a modern twist on things, he would have been with the wino's and prostitutes, the disfigured and lonely. I don't think that he'd have been IN as strip club, or a local nightspot, because God has this hang up about looking upon sin, but the people Jusus sought out would have been there. My point is that the mission of the gospel is that the message of Christ might reach those that may not hear it otherwise. The folks actually IN church every Sunday, they know. The folks that slept in an alley last night because they were too drunk to get home, or the bed ridden, or the non believer that will never come to church, they are the ones that need ministering to. So take the message to them. That message MIGHT be in your conduct and better judgement that YOU employ while among the mongrel sinners. (No offense, just painting a picture.) See what I mean?

All this about "I only play in church" is just an open acknowledgement that you aren't fulfilling your TRUE purpose of spreading the good news. You're just telling the same folks over and over again.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    How can you share an opinion on whether or not somebody should be doing something, without passing judgement?

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    catch-22. and fairly pointless at that.

so, in sum: freebie.

7. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I want to add a little something here...I have heard for the longest time through many churches regarding Gospel should not be mixed with Secular, I am not saying I agree with all of it, I know there should be SOME guidlines. but in the past few years I see that the churchs actually uses some of the secular beats and phrases sometimes in the music, I teach and work with young people in the church and in the streets and this very subject has cause a lot of confusion, because the church was saying one thing, yet doing another to some degree. I believe it all comes down to the heart and intent of the individual to some degree.

8. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    My church is pretty progressive. We've been known to play secular music in church. And soon we'll take it out into the world. I agree with the previous posts about connecting with the people who need to meet Jesus. I don't believe we should do any vulgar tunes. But we do need to connect with the unbeliever as well as sing praise with the believer. This being said at this time I have no desire to play in a strictly secular band.

9. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I will play anything with almost anybody. As a musician you should do that, nothing worse than restricting yourself to one kind of music (my view).

However, most people that I've ever talked to blank out the words unless something really grabs them. I've done it myself. I remember buying a Prince CD for my Sister only to have my mildly shocked Father approach me later asking me "have you listened to those lyrics?" Uhm.....

I do remember playing a punk version of Amazing Grace, and the funny thing was that it it did not click on anybody what the band was doing. Go figure.

But I will say this, if you restricting yourself to just playing Gospel and you just playing in a church, are you really accomplishing your goal?

10. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I think that just because something isn't religious per se doesn't mean that it's wrong or evil or something God wouldn't want you to do. I mean, most religious people live and work in the real world around non-believers and people of other religions and it doesn't necessarily shake their faith or beliefs or make them become people they aren't. Now I can see maybe not being in a hardcore rap group swearing all the time or something similar in some other type of genre, but what's all that bad about Brown Eyed Girl or Footprints? I'm not God and don't have God's number, but I'm pretty sure it's ok to do secular things.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I play in chuch, in an original band geared towards outreach, and in a secular oldies band.

The only guideline I use is the lyrical content of the songs. If the songs are about getting drunk, using drugs, or cheating on your mate, they are out. Otherwise, I do not see a problem.

The oldies band that I am in is entirely made up of nonsmoking, nondrinking Christians. We are not ashamed of our beliefs. Our singer acknowledges our beliefs when he introduces the band. But we recognize the fact that in most of the places we play, drinking, slking, etc will be taking place. You can be in the world without being of the world.:)

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've been in a very similar situation to Jeff's in the past.

Difference being at the time my "secular" band I was in was (sometimes) smoking (sometimes) drinking non-Christians. I figured they wouldn't get hurt by my positive influence. I'm not fundamentalist or Baptist so I did a little drinking myself back in those days also.... But nothing too bad. :oops: Some of the bandmates in my "Christian Ministry" band had a little trouble with the other band, but it never caused any problem - they were wise and non judgemental.

And to make it even more like Jeff, I was playing an extended range Peavey bass in both bands!:)

Later on I also spent a lot of time in a secular band (GUM! - you can hear us on mp3.com) with other Christians and that was fine, too.

I personally don't see any problem whatsoever with the situation.

13. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    I think if all the gospel and praise bass players in the world played solely in that style then secular music would be very deprived of a large amount of talent. Some of my friends here at berklee come from gospel background and most of the best drummers I know. I don't really play gospel although I think Fred hammond is quite amazing and I do listen to him. I don't think secular music is bad just different. As long as your not compromising whats in your heart I think your in the clear.

If people like Kirk Franklin and Fred Hammond had not been mixing contemporary stylings into their gospel and praise music then only the words would remain relevant. and that just can't be.

14. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I play both. I figure that God gave me the talent to play an instrument, and no mater what venue I’m playing in I realize it's through his grace that I’m able to do what I do:)

15. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    As a young man I was discouraged from playing secualr music by the very same people acted as a referee for my indentured apprenticeship into secular company.

16. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    I have no problem playing both or listening to either. It's music!

I have been in the church band now for over 5 years. In that time we've done outreaches & have done many "secular" songs. We've even done some in church services, using the lyrics to help illustrate the sermon. Somehave even been used in worship with mild word changes.

If God can use a donkey to speak to his prophet, why couldn't he use music that many think as "sinful". Apostle Paul used the gods of pagans to preach to them.

Many in fundamental Christianity may disagree, but that's the way I see it.

And what is so "sinful" about smoking & drinking?

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I had the pleasure of seeing and meeting monster Gospel bassist Andrew Gouche' while I was in LA. He was playing a '70's funk cover gig @ B. B. King's club, and he ripped it. I see NOTHING wrong with playing both. I do, however, find something with NOT playing what you like just because you happen to play in church.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well, the sin in smoking should be self-evident.

As for drinking, though drunkenness is definitely sinful (specifically called out all over the place), I don't think it's bad in and of itself. After all, Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine (a lot of wine, for people who already had drunk quite a bit).

19. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    Careful of what arguements we choose in this forum. we don't wanna get shut down like the vic forum :)

Andrew Gouche is the man I'm so Jealous woodchuck. I did Get to meet fred Hammond. The world needs more bass players like those two.

20. I play both. No problems. God doesn't seem to mind.