Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gospel Bass Players....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lowtonejoe, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I'm not looking for a fight or trying to start an arguement about which is better.

All I want to know is what church you play at and if you don't mind, what city is it in. If you don't want to give the city that's fine but please give me the name/type/denomination (whatever it's called) of the church you go to.

The reason I am asking is that I really want to start playing gospel music and am basically trying to figure out where to go look.

I may be out of luck (relatively rural area) but at least if I knew where to start asking that would be a help.

Thanks.

:D

Joe.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Are you "filled with the spirit"? If not, forget it. I've asked around here about how churches feel about mercenary heathens, and they're not down with it.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, Joe.

Have you considere your local yellow pages?

This gives me an idea for a thread....:D

4. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I've been called 'full of' something before but...:)

But seriously, the reason I quit going to the last church I went to (about 6 months) was because they had no real music ministry going that I could be a part of.

I felt so incredibly useless going there because I feel that as a christian, unless you are part of some kind of ministry you're doing no good. The only real pull I feel to any ministry is a music ministry so basically I felt like a duck in a room full of chickens. No one to even really relate to on a level that fed me and them.

But...this is getting a bit off the subject.

I feel a need to do this so I am seeking.

We'll see what I'll find.

Joe.

5. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Sure,

but I was hoping for a little more specific guidance through other peoples experience..

Joe.

6. I am blessed w/the opportunity to bring the low end for The Most High at First Baptist Church, Vacaville. We cover Fred Hammond, Israel Houghton & New Breed, Dave Crowder, Third Day & a lot of more diverse stuff, as well as quite a few originals. One of the sweetest things about this gig(aside from the obvious)is that we've more or less 'toured'! Mexico, Hawaii, Oklahoma City ;) & lots of fairly local events. Last Saturday we played 3 separate events, then 4 services on Sunday- sometimes I wish I were a pro; I wouldn't be so busy!
    BTW, how's the 12 treating you? I've already traded the Dean off, although I really liked it. Played it in Church once!

"Can I get an AMEN?"
    (
    :bassist:

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Well, I play bass at Grindstone Valley Bible church in Waterdown, ON, Canada...it's an Associated Gospel Church, or AGC. I play heavily modded Spector Basses (modded for fun, not because they didn't sound great stock!) and use various Yorkville/Traynor amplifiers, along with some rack effects and a Bass wah!

There is a thread you should check out...Gospel Bass Players, Please step up!!!

Lots of good responses in there...

...also, if you haven't already join the Churchbass mailing list at www.associate.com, and check out Churchbassists on MSN Groups. Cheers!

8. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Hi there Steve!

Thanks for your response.

:)

And...I'm getting ready to put the 12-string up for sale. I've replaced the tweeter on the GB monitor cab and it's going up for sale along with an Ernie Ball MM HD-212 cab I have. And my OLP. Sheesh, I ought to start a music store...

Joe.

9. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Hi Rev!

Thanks for your response and the links. I will definitely check them out.

Joe.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I play at Fountain of Life Pentecostal church in Dallas. We do hymns, modern praise & worship, and occasional jazz arranged instrumental versions of hymns.

Most of the large, contemporary churches have guitar, bass & drums.

Being in a rural area, you are more likely to find that kind of music in Pentecostal, Full Gospel, and other Spirit filled churches. A lot of the small Baptist, Presbyterian and Methodist churches are resistant to more modern music.

A notable exception are black churches. No matter the size or denomination, most of them have modern music with amplified bass and guitar.

11. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA

Thanks for the info and the advice Jeff.

Joe.

12. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I've been playing for various churches over the last 5 years. Recently, I tried a short stint in a local secular rock / pop cover band. I have to say that it really filled or satisfied nothing inside me. This seemed a bit odd as I enjoy classic rock, jazz, new age, alternative, blues and rockabilly. In fact a lot of my musical influences are from artists in those genres.

But, I must say that I simply cannot imagine not playing / serving in music ministry. I am presently with Fellowship Church of Austin (Austin, TX). When we moved here from Fort Worth (job transfer), I immediately began searching (visiting) for my new "church home". For me, it would have to be a Christ centered, non-denominational, bible based teaching, community / family involved church with a stong music ministry effort.

The second visited church was "the place". I knew it immediately. No questions asked. Two months later, I am part of the team. We currently have 5-6 singers, 3-4 guitarists, mandolin, hamonica, sax, 2 bassists (was 4), 3 drummers, 3 keyboard players, 4 sound lighting techs, 2-3 multimedia operators and a truly talented husband and wife leadership (who just released their second solo CD, "The Name"). We play in a large, well equipped high school auditorium and have onsite storage for all of our sound equipment (boards, pa, amps, risers etc).

Our focus is to lead the congregation into that intimate time of worship and praise with the Lord and I see it working week after week. For me, I simply can't imagine not being involved in music in this immensely rewarding manner.

Looking ahead, I hope to be able to play in larger venues and on some labeled releases. That will come when the time is right and I'm sure I'll give it the 110% I always have.

I think that if you are seeking a relationship with the Lord and your heart is that of a servant, you will have no problem finding a music ministry team where you can serve. Most people will never understand the reward it offers, but those who do, know what I am talking about.

Feel free to PM me if you ever want to discuss this on a more personal level. :bassist:

Jammin' for the Lamb,

dutch

13. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC

lol, I can vouch to this fact! I play in a small town/big sound "black baptist" church out in the country side. Though we're not a "big" church, we are growing and walk in the direction that the Spirit leads.

Musically, our songs range from old time "stomp & clap" spirituals and hymns to modern contemporary favorites.

In order to land any church gig you need 1 thing above all others. You must be filled with the Holy Spirit and have an undying passion to follow Christ. I won't get on here and start "preaching" but just remember Matthew 6:33....

;)

-J

14. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    hey guys,

I'm a spirit filled bass and g****r player and i have the privilege of leading a large worship band in Gravesend, North Kent UK. Our website is : www.citypraisecentre.com

we have wide variety of musicians, all of whom delight to serve the Lord with the gifts that He has given.

can i ask you guys to pray with us at the moment, as we are going through a real period of growth, and need all the support we can get!

I'm soo glad that i found this site, as there are very few similar sites in the UK. The wonder of technology huh!

sorry i'm a little off topic, but i'm just chuffed to find an encouraging site that celebrates christian musicians.

Cheers

Chris

15. LowTone- do you need a partner(for your music store ;) )? I'm glad the stuff is either getting used or moving. Back on topic, FBC is a 'multi-cultural' church, w/an awesome cross-sectional mix of differing ethnicities, ages, styles, etc. bowing before The One True God. As for denomination, we are sometimes accused of going 'Pentecostal' at times. We have praise dancing & other very non-traditional forms of worship. Musical styles are all over the place. I just got back from leading worship for the middle school next door's Chapel. The awesome thing today was that the kids totally broke out in worship- jumping up & down, dancing, screaming... it was actually frightening to an old(er)coot like me. :rolleyes: But definitely good. Keep looking, Joe.

16. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I play at Truro Episcopal Church in Fairfax, VA. I play on Saturday nights for the contemporary service. We do mostly contemporary P&W music from oldies from Keith Green to newer stuff by guys like Chris Tomlin, the Newsboys, and Matt Redmond. Once in a while we'll pull out an old Anglican hymn and modernize it. The worship team is usually 3-4 singers, pianist, bassist, guitarist, and drummer. Sometimes they'll have me play the second guitar if they want a more electric set, and other times we'll have an electronic keyboardist play with us too.

I sometimes sub on Sundays, and that is a trip. From week to week we have different orchestral instruments such as strings, reeds, and brass as well as orchestral percussion. If you think sharing the low-end with a keyboard player is bad, try performing with a tuba player and a pipe organ. We have a top notch drummer who plays for the symphony Orch. We'll do things from old hymns that are centuries old to newer P&W music. Once in a while we'll pull out some old fashioned Gospel songs like "Closer Walk with Thee". The choir is about forty, with anywhere from 6-12 other musicians. This gig is challenging and fun, since I have to read as well as play a variety of styles. I'd love it, if I didn't have to get to rehearsal at 7AM.

I also lead worship for Alpha at our church, and that's on Wednesdays. I play guitar and sing for that.

The great thing about my church home is that it gives me plenty of outlets to minister through music. The other thing is that the congregation and church leadership strongly support the music and arts ministry. For an Episcopal church, I am amazed at how much spirit is at our services. We're a singing church, and it's just amazingly powerful when hundreds of voices sing in praise and worship.

I'm really thankful to the opportunity that's been given to me. I hope that you find something similar, Joe. Best wishes to you in being able to fulfil your calling and to serve.

If anyone cares to stop by on a Saturday to worship with us, I'd love it. www.trurochurch.org

17. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    BTW, I need a sub for Oct 15th so if anyone's interested please PM me.

18. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Dude, wulf is hosting Deep to Deep this weekend, if you're not already planning to go, you should try to get there!

Wulf frequents both Churchbass on associate.com and Talkbass.com, so getting in touch with him directly should be fairly easy! :D

And I agree, TB is pretty much the only bass site/forum I've found outside of dedicated churchbass forums that seems to be tolerant of discussion about bassists in a church setting...don't go to activebass.com, they'll try to stone you...JK, but it seemed like it...

19. I play for Sauble Christian Fellowship in Sauble Beach Ont. Canada. It's a BIC (Brethren in Christ) church in a town of about 500 (except for the summer,, then it's about 30,000).. we average 296 in attendance between our two services (9 am contemporary and 10:45 am traditional), I always play in the 9 am, and about once a month play in the 2nd service,,
    I use mostly my Washburn 5 string,, but will bring out my Washburn acoustic and just started using my Warwick fretless....

We play the 'easy' contemporary (as in easier listening), and a number of original stuff written by our keyboardist..

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I play at a smaller to medium-sized Bible Church in Waco. We have electric and acoustic guitars, trap set, electric bass, keys and violins. We do mostly more modern stuff but mix in some hymns too. Either way it's always "electric."

brad cook