1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gospel Bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mrufino1, Apr 10, 2009.

1. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    So tonight I attended a baptist church in the area for Good Friday service. I grew up catholic and go now to a multicultural christian church (and play all the time- we do mainly things like Chris Tomlin, Israel and New Breed, Tim Hughes, just did some U2 this past week, etc.), but we do not have our own building yet so it is only available to us on Sundays. We were invited to this church as a church tonight, and I am so glad I went, what an amazing experience, really stretched my horizons and we were made to feel very welcome. And the music was outrageous. I have heard gospel before, of course, but never was in a service to experience it, and I was blown away. The bass player was amazing (and was playing a very nice fodera...), which was also cool. What I wanted to ask is for some recommendations of some gospel albums to check out. I am not interested in the gospel that resembles contemporary R&B (Kirk Franklin, etc), but more like what I heard tonight, with a choir, hammond, wurly, drums, bass, and some screamin' preachers! Thanks, look forward to checking out some stuff.

2. If you're looking for more traditional sounding rirban contemporary Gospel, check out James Hall, Ricky Dillard (live in Toronto is great, Peavey Cirrus baby!), Bishop Trotter, Andrew Ford, Marvin Sapp to name a few.

www.gospelflava.com is a good source for checking out releases and then go to amazon listen to soundclips see what u like.

Happy Easter!!

3. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Cool, thanks, I will check out that site!
    Edit: I am checking out now, very cool. Just what I was looking for.

4. Also plug some of those names in Pandora.com. Its a great radio site that takes the artists you put in and play other artists who have similar styles. You can never go wrong with John P Kee or some Fred Hammond either.

5. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Fred Hammond is da man!! Pick up "Pages of Life" and git 'cho fonky gospel groove on!!

"Raise up, Send the Praise up!!"

6. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Darrell Freeman (Annointed Pace Sisters, Keith Brooks and New Creation, Marvin Sapp and others), Simeon Baker with Joe Pace and Sharay Reed are serious groove masters with ridiculous fills!!! Here's Darrell:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool: