1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gospel Female bassist Debra Killings..check it.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Nice intro and grove, and the Yamaha sounds pretty good as well.:cool:

Oh yes...the DRUMMER is spot on as well.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I guess she is busy doing studio work or touring, but I would sure love for her to release another solo CD.:)

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Ever since a friend hipped me to her several years back I've been in love with her! She doesn't get a lot of props like maybe a Tal or Me'shelle or Rhonda but she can hang with them no problem!

I've found that female bassists seem to have an inate sense of groove, funk and just overall solidness in their playing. They never seem to have the need to go off on bass playing pyrotechnics like their male counterparts!

4. Nice. Is that one of those 20mm spaced Yamaha 6's? My gosh, that's one of the only basses I literally can't play due to the huge neck and the over the top wide bridge spacing. Interesting choice for her! Sounds GREAT.

5. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Class. :cool:

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I give her props for being able to play that thing let alone a 6 string! I won't go near a 6 string!

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Thats the John Pattituci signature model(the first one), a great bass, a bit heavy and wide but doesn't seem to be a problem at all for her as she sings and plays away.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There are reasons why some folks get great gigs, and fame. A really big one is talent, and Debra Killings has got a ton of it. I say that because KJung is a great player that I have had the privilege to hear a few times live, but I know he would be the first to acknowledge that someone like Killings has another gear or two that most of us don't have.:cool:

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    dayyyyyyyymn, great find!! never heard of her!!

:)

10. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    that bass seems perfect for me I love wide spacing. She is one of my fav musicians period. She does tons of session work. vocals for TLC Outkast and lots of others out of atlanta. Beauty everywhere: good person, good looks, awesome chops and groove, great voice

11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    What I find to be consistently common among great and "talented" musicians is years of musical training most of it happening at an early age i.e. pre-teens, growing up in a musical family and lots and lots of practice. The result of these efforts is usually summed up as talent.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Fair enough, I ended up a Ph.D. coming from any educated family where I read my whole life. Obviously, many people attain great things in education without my background, but I can honestly say that getting a doctorate seemed natural and a given to me instead of a great achievement.

That said, there is always somebody like Woodchuck who starts playing at thirty and is doing major studio work within seven years.:D

13. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Perhaps you should change the way you think about that as it is a great achievement.

Well I'm not the greatest photographer(not by a long shot as I have lots of work to do) that ever lived but Meshell's current myspace photo is one that I took. :D

14. Oh my goodness. I love her.:hyper:

15. man, where have i been:eek: as a former trb6p owner and someone who cant even talk and play at the same time......wow!

16. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Now there's something that may inspire you to work. :D

17. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Yeah she rocks! I bought that DVD last year and it's awesome!!

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis