Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gospel Hymnal Tabs?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by DarrinG, May 10, 2004.

1. DarrinG

DarrinG

May 10, 2004
    NC
    This may seem crazy to some, but can anyone point me to a source for bass tabs for church hymnals? I have searched the net for hours and hours and cannot find anything! I am looking for something on the net or in book form that I could order. Thanks!

2. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    You're not going to find much in the way of tabs. I ended up going with the Accompaniment Celebration Hymnal For Guitar

It at least has all the chords. At 60 bucks, it ain't cheap though. There are also some hymn sites out there, but they also only have the chords. Best to learn to improvise over the chord lines, but in the case of most hymns, banging out the chord root will get you by.

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/7457/praise_chords/

http://www.guitarhymns.com/hymnsindex.html

http://www.praisesong.net/downloadcharts.htm#Traditional Hymns

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Is this for playing along in church? If you've got hymnals there you'll probably be better off learning to play the bottom line of the standard notation. Most hymn basslines are quite simple, making them good sight reading practise. That also avoids the problem of finding you're playing a different version of the same song - many hymns fit to a number of tunes!

For an online resource, look at the CyberHymnal. That has thousands of hymns. No tab but lots of midi, which should be easy to convert across if you want to.

Wulf

4. DarrinG

DarrinG

May 10, 2004
    NC
    Thanks for the replies guys. I am a newbie (been playing for about 6 months) and am learning this thing... ;) I cannot "read music" and am self-taught to this point. I have gleamed info from the net and other sources, like learning all the notes on the neck, etc. I can play a few songs in their entireity, due to finding tabs on the net. I would really love to find something, somewhere, that has the standard notation AND the tabs to the old standard gospel hymnals for bass. Surely somewhere there is a book I could order or something with tablature for the hymnal songs?????????

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Darrin,

Have you got the hymnals you want to work from? It might be worth taking the time to write the tab you need from the notation. If you're not familiar with reading music then your skill level will be improved and, unlike sightreading, it doesn't matter how long you take.

In my experience, most hymn bass lines are fairly simple; mainly scale based, not spread over much more than an octave and without too many complex rhythms. They were, after all, written for people to sing! I don't think it would take too long before you could read them in real-time.

If you're feeling really generous, you could then publish your tabs somewhere on the web to help those who come after you. You could also publish 'work in progress' here. I'm sure several of us would be happy to help out given a clear focus like a scanned version of a particular song (something old and safely out of copyright) or a link to one of the tunes on the cyberhymnal I mentioned.

Wulf

6. reanimatedsky

reanimatedsky

May 15, 2004
    Delavan, WI
    I play bass for my church too. Tabs for old hymns are very hard to find. I tab them out myself from the sheet music. I use Power Tab Editor (free download). If you take your time creating the tab will really help your playing. Let me know if there is something particular you need. I keep copies of what I've worked on.

7. DarrinG

DarrinG

May 10, 2004
    NC
    Hey that's a nice gesture, I appreciate it greatly. I would love to have the bass tabs for "Victory in Jesus", "I'm Going That Way", "Gloryland Way" among a few others. Is there any way you could send them to be by e-mail?