Gospel players.....need your rig recommendations!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by groov'ster, Feb 21, 2006.

1. SWR

2. Eden

3. GK

4. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. So it is time for me to get a new rig.
    This would mainly be for outside venues and street services.
    We play contemporary gospel and black gospel.
    I am looking towards SWR, Eden, or GK. I will purchase both the head and matching cabs. I know that they all have their distinct tones but would like to know what you think would fit the bill or which gives the best tone for that style.
    Is there any others that I need to consider?

My main bass is a Cirrus 6 string.
  2. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    can't say ive had much experience with GK, but I prefer Eden for its growl. but SWR would do you very well if you want a more smooth and deep sound.
  3. SWRs are going away, so if you get one, it will either be worthless or worth a whole lot of money somewhere down the road.

I love going to the local GC and asking them about Eden or EA cabinets. They have no idea what you're talking about.
  4. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Alot of the big name gospel players out there have been using SWR for years...Fred Hammond, Andrew Gouche, Terrance Palmer, and many more. Black gospel bass really just requires something that can give you a full range tone, an agressive, quick sound with lots of punch and sizzle. This is what SWR was really known for, but today there are other comanies that do that signiture sound as well or better - Epifani, EBS, Thunderfunk, Bergantino, ect.

I'm playing for a gospel group now using a Cirrus through an old SWR head with an Epifani cab...it sounds great!
  5. Yea, I knew my brothers would step to the plate with some ideas. Keep'em coming. One of the reasons I am asking is b/c I have never played these brands except for the GK. I hear them all the time on albums and the such BUT that is a polished sound after mixing. I want to talk to the players not the producers if you get my drift.
  6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Why so adamant about keeping the head and cabinet of the same brand? I never really understood that, especially as some companies seem to make cabinets as afterthoughts (or heads).
  7. Not adamant about it just seemed logical. Hence "any other recommendations?"

Throw in yo 2 cents.
  8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Like others have said, tons of gospel guys seem to love their SWR rigs. An SM-500 or a used 400 or 400S would probably serve you well. Pair it with a Goliath and you'd be set; or, perhaps you'd like one of their other cabinets.

EA might also be applicable to you. I think they are more famous for their cabinets than their amps, but probably two CXL112s would serve nearly any situation.

Someone has recently discovered the Bergantino/Walter Woods combination, but Woods heads can be hard to get hold of. Bergantino cabinets seem really great though. Perhaps a 2x10, or maybe even one of the new IP ones, if cost is no issue.

Hope some of these suggestions help, but I think the SWR route might be the one to go for. I really like GK heads, but can't comment on their cabinets; the tone of the heads is pretty mid-forward, though, which is sort of opposite of what you're looking for.
  9. buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I came from the world of SWR, but today I play only Eden. The WT-550 and D212XLT cabinet is a killer combination to start with... plenty of power and an old-school kind of vibe with the 12's.
    Good luck with your search!!
  10. What did you like about SWR and what made you change over to Eden? Is is something you can explain OR is it something that I would have to hear for myself?
  11. Based purely on reputation I think that the Eden sound is what you're looking for. Also check out Ampeg and Bergantino NV if you can find them. There's an NV215 on the bay for $550 if you can afford it.

I also wouldn't limit yourself to a matching head, get the combination that sounds best.
  12. i have an swr head but i dont really like it and am thinking of getting rid of it soon because i want an all tube head, so i voted other because i love mesa stuff

i have mesa powerhouse cabs and they sound godly, now i just need a 400+ or something like it.

go mesa.
  13. One of the main reasons for the poll is b/c there are no shops in the local area that carry these brands. I will make a trip shortly to go visit Bass Central and when I walk in the door I want to have a good general idea of what I need to look at first.

It is a broad question that I have asked and is very subjective based on your ears and experience at this point. But I have to start somewhere and there is no better place.
  14. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    At this years NAMM show, Andrew Grouche kept stopping by the Epifani booth and spent a lot of time playing through Nick's new 410 and two 115's Performance Series cabs and the PS600 amp. He loved the low end warmth and punch. Their has been several gospel bassists using the Epi 610UL also.
  15. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Norm Stockton had been using pricey hi-end gear, and made the switch to GK (1001RBII Neo 2x12). check out his web site and drop him a note.
  16. I'm glad you mentioned Norm b/c he is one of my fav' players. He is why I put GK on the list.
  17. hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    Bergantino has a new powered cabinet series that just became available. I have a Berg 3x10 and and SWR SM-900 it fits anywhere I play. I've owned SWR, Eden, Aguilar, Ampeg, EBS and Demeter and I found the Berg to be the most transparent (but that's what I was looking for). Although, the Aggies where really fat for being 2 112 cabs. You mentioned Bass Central as a stop, they have everything there so line them up and try all of them, you never know which combo of amp and cab will speak to you. I did the same thing at Bass Emporium here in Austin when I bought my cab two years ago.

$0.02 added to the kitty...
  18. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh no you didnt!

wow, can only imagine the MTD / Epifani goodness flying from his hands.

but of all the choices, i like Eden. my main man at the moment, Maurice Fitzgerald, has been rockin' w/ the Eden gear, and he sounds phenomenal. pretty sure that's what he's using on that Kim Burrell live CD.
  19. JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    My buddy has an Eden WT800B with Eden 410 and 118 Cabs, one heck of a rig. He also plays a Peavey Cirrus but a 5er. It has been played in a jam band style for years, and now a southern swamp rock band. It is awesome! It's more than likely you could get the tone you want out of an Eden. I wish I could afford one!!
  20. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    What kind of budget do you have? If you're gonna stop in at Bass Central, you'll have tons of options...