Gospel/Praise Worship/Contemporary Christian

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by cassanova, Nov 16, 2002.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Just curious as to know what you're song lists are. We've got about 40 that we do and Im looking for new songs to present to the pastor so that maybe we can keep things from getting boring.

Of the 40 these are the ones we ususally do week after week.

A Shout of Jubilation
    Arise of Lord
    Be Glorified
    Better Is One Day
    Blow A Trumpet in Zion
    Come (Now Is The Time To Worship)
    Did You Feel The Mountains Tremble
    Enemys Camp
    Every Move I Make
    Everything That Has Breath
    Give It On Up
    Great In Power
    He Got Up
    Holy Is The Lord
    I Could Sing of Your Love Forever
    Ive Come To Praise Him
    Ive Found Jesus
    Jesus Lover of My Soul
    Let It Rise
    Let My Words Be Few
    Look What The Lord Has Done
    Lord I Lift Your Name on High
    Lord of All
    Open The Eyes of My Heart
    Praisin The Power Down
    Send The Fire
    Send Your Rain
    Shout to the Lord
    Stand Up On Your Feet
    Sweet Wind
    We Will Ride
    When The Music Fades
    Worthy of My Praise
    When The Music Fades
  2. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Some of the newer ones we've learned are "It is You" by the Newsboys and "My Glorious" by Delirious. And "Resonate" by Sonic Flood. That's a good one.
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey, Cass... good thread.

While I no longer play within the church setting I'm actually doing more worship than ever with a band that I'm in. Our weekly gig is a Sunday night college ministry and we get hired to play for churches, youth functions, retreats etc...

My favorite songs that we play are written by our singer and a friend of his but here are some of the other ones that we play (I included comments on some):

Forever - Chris Tomlin
    Heart of Worship - Matt Redman
    Above All (not my favorite - don't feel good about the last line lyrically)
    Salvation - Charlie Hall (Excellent and grooving song...we rock this one)
    You are my King - Billy Foote
    Praise Adonai - Paul Baloche (this one rocks too...I like my bass line a lot)
    You Said - Hillsong (we don't do much Hillsong - this one's ok)
    This is Love - Vineyard
    I Bow Down
    Whom Shall I Fear - Darrell Evans
    Be Thou My Vision, When I Survey (hymns that we do sort of updated alt-rock versions of)
    Draw Me Close - The Katinas
    Here I Am to Worship
    Show Your Power (sometimes I slap this one...depends how I feel)
    Holy and Annointed One
    Meet With Me - Ten Shekel Shirt
    Ancient of Days
    Blessed Be Your Name - Matt Redman
    We Want to See Jesus Lifted High - Doug Horley (this is a fun one to do with high school kids...we do it with kind of a neo-punk vibe and it's the only song I ever use a pick on)
    Hungry (Falling on My Knees) - Kathryn Scott
    Be Glorified - Tomlin/Giglio
    Clean Hands - Charlie Hall
    Kindness - Tomlin
    Trading My Sorrows - Darrell Evans (I play the fun bass chorded intro...song grooves)
    King of Glory - Charlie Hall (this one kicks too!)
    My God Reigns - Darrell Evans (I slap the snot outta this one...fun song)

I tried to cull out the ones that you had in your list...we do a few of those. Mostly we do very contemporary stuff in an alt-rock style and I try to groove it up and give some things more of a unique vibe by tapping, slapping (I do this very sparingly), playing 16ths etc..whatever I can do to further the song and make it worthy of going before the King. Aside from the ones listed above we also have 10 or more originals that we do occasionally. I really hope those songs get out there some day because our singer/guitarist/keys player has written some fantastic songs. Anyway...hope you enjoy my list.

brad cook
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I do the same thing (try to groove it up a bit) with alot of the material we play, I find that James Jamerson and Jerry Scheff (Elvis) type lines work very well over alot of them. Alot of stuff we do is funk orientated and I like that, because nobody in my town wants to play funk music on a regular basis, so the church lets me play a little bit of everything. I do the same intro on Trading My Sorrows, the nice chorded piece. Ive also been getting into the habbit of chording out certain spots in other songs. When tastefully done, it gives the song a little added power and emotion IMO.
  5. Great thread, I can't see anything off the top of my head that we play that hasn't been mentioned, but I will put my vote in for "My glorious" as being as great song. If you do, it, pull the bass line off of the passion CD, it's great!
    Two songs we areabout to do arer "be the centre" and "ocean" They are great too.

6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You guys also should check out Charlie Hall's CD "Porch and Alter" if you haven't already. Has some SWEET tone and nice playing from Pat "The Tone" Malone. Especially in the first three songs. There's some good stuff on this CD to play in church also. I've played several songs off of there in worship bands.

brad cook
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah...I know what you mean about the Jamerson vibe. I guess the Jerry Scheff stuff would work especially well in my band since our guitarist used to play with Elvis. :) My playing on the slower and more flowing songs tends to be more along the lines of a Tony Levin style. One interesting thing to me is that lately I've found myself using more tapping than I ever have in any band. Just seems like the melodic and rhythmic content of a lot of our songs is very conducive to tapping. More in a melodic way than in an aggressive rhythmic way.

brad cook
  8. You know guys, church type threads come up so often, it would be nice to have a a special place to post without settling for "miscellaneous" Has anybody ever thought about starting a subcategory just for church music? I subscribe to Churchbass right now, but it is pretty lame with the digest format. Anybody else want our own "room"

If we could get a room like that going, I promise to become a supporting member right away!
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I would assume this is a RECORDINGS thread, but monsterweights, Talkbass doesn't create areas for genres of music, otherwise we would have to add for jazz, country, blues, rock, punk, blah blah blah.

Anyway, I like the Full Gospel Baptist Fellowship Mass Choir's "Shabach". It's a favorite.
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    We do that song, its a favorite of mine to play. I dig the wierd kinda groove that one has. I also like the A minor (i think) scale thats played right after the Eb.

Another good one is Send the Fire. Theres a part of the song that says "we need another pentacost" and you can really lay down a nice walking pattern to complement the vocals.

I forgot about putting this in recordings when I made the thread, but you're right Jazzbo, it should actually be there.
  11. There are so many suggestions that I know if I were you I'd never get around to listening to them all. So I'll leave you with only one. It's the easiest song in the world to play, but it is truly a world-class worship song if their ever was one. I play it in the upper registers, around the 12th fret, and just keep it grooving along.......go ahead and see if you can find it on kazaa or something, or I'll email it to you. Course, you might then want to buy the cd........

You Are So Good to Me - Waterdeep

here's a review....
  12. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Church is my main outlet. I play every Sunday in our "contemporary" service. What's funny is I don't know most of the songs you guys listed. Here's a partial list of what we do:

As The Deer
    As We Gather
    Awesome In This Place
    Be Glorified
    Be Still and Know
    Bind Us Together
    Celebrate Jesus
    Change My Heart, Oh God
    Come and See
    Come To the Table
    Commune With Me
    Create in Me a Clean Heart
    Crown Him
    For the Lord is Good
    From Eternity, O God
    Go, Make Disciples
    God is Good All the Time
    God Will Make a Way
    Great and Mighty is He
    Great is the Lord
    He is Exalted
    He is Lord
    Hear, O Lord
    How Great is Your Love
    I Am the Bread of Life
    I Could Sing of Your Love Forever
    In His Time
    I Was Made to Praise You
    I Will Delight

...and so on. Kind of a mixture of new and old. And being Lutherans, we also usually do a traditional hymn.

And just incidentally, you can hear some samples of our CD at www.angelfire.com/music5/marks .
  13. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    You could always switch the mail mode to get individual messages rather than the whole digest. Information to be found in the Churchbass FAQ :)

BTW, the playlist from my church can be found on my website at:

You can pick a starting month and see all the songs we've done from then to now, and sort it by title, key or number of times we've played them. I use it to inspire ideas and fill in the blanks when creating a worship set - I want songs that fit with the theme I'm working with, are well within my musical (and vocal) grasp and, ideally, which the congregation will be familiar (I'm not averse to giving them new songs or dredging up tunes from long ago, but try to balance that with stuff we've done several times in the past few months).

14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Amen! Great song. When the Enter the Worship Circle CD first came out it didn't leave my CD player for a while and that was one of my favorite songs on it...ok actually I couldn't have chosen a favorite if I wanted to. The whole CD is amazing. If you don't have "Enter the Worship Circle" by 100 Portraits and Waterdeep then run to www.grassrootsmusic.com and get it!

brad cook
  15. I want JazzX's dog :D

Sick of it All is a Christian hardcore band, and I think that's kinda cool that they play what they believe, despite a large percentage of people who are heavily into punk (like me) being athiests. All I care about is that their music is good.

Carry on with your regularly scheduled thread. :p
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Your wish is my command, Mama.:)
  17. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Old thread, but it's worth resurrecting/updating.

Right now, my favorite Praise and Worship to groove on are:
    Let everything that has Breath
    My Glorious
    Be Glorified
    Come, Now Is The Time To Worship
    It Is You
    Hallelujah (Your Love Makes Me Sing)
    You are Holy (Prince of Peace)
    Your Worthy of my Praise
    Your Love is Deep
    Heart of Worship
    Meet with Me

and one oldie:

Jehovah Jirah

So what are your (new) favorites?

If anybody is not familiar with any of these songs I could probably post a short clip. I record the entire service on CD every week.
  18. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Just noticed this thread for the first time.

Thank you. I thought I was the only one.
  19. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
  20. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    We do just about every one listed so far. We also do one called Walk By Faith by Chris Falson. It's "too rock and rolley" according to the older folks in the congregation, but has about become the church call to worship theme song. Just about everyone under 60 gets on their feet and starts clapping moving and grooving every time we play it. For me though, it's about one of the most basic songs I play. The MOM just wants a driving repetetive rock type root groove that doesn't allow for much creativity on bass. That's probably a good thing since I've only been playing about a year and a half.:D Due to the fun beat and the congregation reaction I would be happy to do this one every Sunday though. Here's us going at it recently:

Walk By Faith

EDIT: Altered my link.