Gospel SVP-Pro Settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rick1906, Jun 19, 2005.

1. rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    Any Gospel players out there using an Ampeg SVP-Pro? If so, what are your favorite settings? I'm trying to get some different sounds out of mine and could use some tips.
  2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I use the same setting for a wide variety of songs (not gospel, but I do play some jackson 5):

Drive roughly "noon"
    Ultra Lo "on"
    Bass - 1PM
    Mid level - 2 to 3 PM
    Mid freq 2

Everything else flat. Its a great solid basic sound with some attitude. From there just tweaking drive up or down yields other good sounds. For a cleaner brighter slap sound, back off the drive to 10PM or so and turn Ultra Hi "on". For more of a rock sound push the drive up to 10PM and turn Ultra bright "on". Its all in there. Leave the graphic alone unless you are running a second bass or second sound, the basic controls sound better.

One more thing: I've found that gain staging is important with this pre. the clip light should just barely come on when you thump your loudest note, and the master should be up at least half way (turn down your power amp if you need to). The master volume is driven by a different kind of tube, and pushing it toward saturation (but not into clipping, which sounds nasty) really fattens up the sound.
  3. DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    The drive control on those preamps is very interactive with the tone controls. When using the preamp with a very high powered amplifier I found that I needed to run that control a bit higher to get more of a "small amp" tone, maybe at about 10:00 position. That's a tip for you.

My setting most of the time with my bass doing rock and roll were: preamp at about 10:00, Drive 10:00, bass 1:00, Ultra LO on, mid at about 10:00, freq postition 2. High at about 12:00, graphic EQ, bright and ultra HI, off, master at about 2:00, sounded very good.
  4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I don't think the drive control is interactive in terms of being an RLC circuit that actually effects the response of the other controls (like an old Fender amp or the Alembic F1-X), but it does have a big effect on the sound. Its just a blendable EQ pre-shape, I like to think of it as if the enhance knob on an SWR worked backwards :D It trims the extreme ends of the signal and brings in some mid frequencies that help it retain definition in a loud mix.