1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gospel/Worship Team Bassists, what bass do you play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gospelbassist, Sep 29, 2010.

1. gospelbassist

gospelbassist

Jul 24, 2008
    Hey guys,

I was curious to see what other Gospel/Worship Team bassists play? What's your favorite rig for playing at Church? Let me know :)... I heard a lot of guys play Ken Smiths and MTD's. I was wondering what otehr basses are being used, and what are you pumping it through? let me know... Thanks

Be blessed
    :bassist:

2. I usually play the Cirrus 6'er through a Euphonic Audio iamp 350 and then into a 210 and 212. I'll use a BBE Optostomp pedal compressor but that's all the effects I'll use. Sounds good and fills the room. I get no PA support at all.

3. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    My #1 is an older Ibanez SR400 with P/J pickups and active 3-band EQ. Strung with Chromes and usually DI thru a Fishman Bass preamp. Can nail lots of different J and P tones.

Also have a newer SR405 for when we transpose down to D. It sounds really good live, too, but I don't like the mid control (style sweeper that moves a fixed boost up and down) - it's much trickier to dial in exactly the tone I'm after.

4. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    I don't know if I'd consider myself a Gospel/Worship team member. Our church is fairly traditional. We have a Song Leader (me), and piano player(also me), several guitarists(when I do solo songs I'm either on the piano or electric guitar), and 3 of us switch off on bass when the others are absent or occupied on another instrument.
    We play hymns, Bluegrass Gospel and myself and the main bassist do CCM.
    Our church has a Memphis P-Bass copy. I like it a lot. It plays great and sounds killer. The pickups and electronics were replaced( I think with Fender pups. Whatever they are, they're the reason this bass sounds like it does.). We play through a Roland Cube 60.

5. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I now play my Music Man basses at church. 1 Sterling 4H. 1 Stingray Classic, 1 Bongo 4HH and 1 Bongo 4H on the way. I also have a few other Ibanez Soundgear basses but don't really use them a lot anymore.

6. gospelbassist

gospelbassist

Jul 24, 2008
    Is that a BXP or a USA model?

7. USA model

CIMG1332.jpg
    CIMG1336.jpg

8. kudzoorude

kudzoorude

Oct 31, 2007
    Jackson, MS
    Musicman Stingray Classic or Fender P/J Jazz --> Staccato'51 --> SWR Goliath Jr. II

9. 1989 Washburn Status headless
    2007 EBMM SUB and my trusty
    1997 Am Std Fender Jazz

all direct to board with some compression and EQ from a ZOOM G2.u1 (yes a guitar MultiFX)
    and the occasional stomp on a Boss OC-2 and Boss Chorus

4389132778_b817713fa6_b.jpg

some of the other bassists (and unfortunately some louder guitarists) at church have taken to adding small amps on stage for monitoring
    but so far Im pretty happy with the AVIOM monitoring system that we have been using
    I am in the minority for in ear monitors but I love them plus the Avioms give us each a personal mixer to add and take out what we want to hear

10. I used to use an Ibanez SR300 had a nice bassey sound, now though I use my Spector NS2000 (MI-SK) into my Genz Benz Neo-Pak 3.0 with a Peavey 6x12 cab! occasionally, depending on song choices by the worship leader I will put it through an Electro Harmonix Envelope Filter and an Electro Harmonix Big Muff!

Our "youth service" (which our pastors had a back flip about its purpose in the church) has a little more out there worship band and we tend to muck around with song arrangements and the like. hence why I can get away with putting my bass through a few different fx pedals :)

in addition to the above post "re: monitor foldback" we hired what could be converted in to an in ear monitor system, at the end of the day, the dude who was selling it to us was a "douche bag" to quote the whole worship team+the pastor and we didnt get it, I would much rather a Bass amp than either a foldback or in ear monitor system anyday, unless im playing at like the MCG or for you American users out their Maddison Square Garden

11. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    Fender P (American Vintage 62) -> Radial JDV active DI -> in-ear monitoring

12. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    I Play, in order of preference:

Homebuilt fretless
    Warwick Corvette $$
    Ibanez BTB
    Cort Acoustic
    Hohner B-Bass Fretless.

We do up-tempo contemporary worship, but the Homebuilt fits nicely. I wish the Warwick was fretless....but alas, the distributor does not import the fretless models.

The nice thing about fretless is that no-one comes to mess with my gear after service, too intimidated by fretless methinks.

The church has a 300w Line6 amp, which I, or none of the other bassists enjoy, there is no definition. I prefer using the 15" monitor, give me a better idea, or else I use in-ear monitoring, especially since I am a noob on fretless.

13. My warrior through my Phil Jones suitcase is my #1. Sometimes I take my jazz or my fretless but always through my pjb suitcase. I can't stand in ears :(

14. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I play my fretted basses in rotation -
    Ken Lawrence Brase 5
    Alleva Coppolo LG-5
    AC KPB-5
    Lakland 55-94

They all sound good.

Dan K.

15. Banky

Banky

Apr 24, 2007
    Windy Kansas
    I play a Benevente 219b through an Eden Navigator and QSC power amp then to an SVT 810. Our band tends toward a classic rock feel. Our guitarist/leader just got a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade. Very cool amp.

16. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    OK. Clement hand built customs fretted and fretless through a Hartke LH500 and Fender pro 800 into 6 15's and 8 10" speakers.
    3Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise. Psalm 33:3 KJV

17. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I play a Sadowsky NYC Vintage 4 string through an SVT 2Pro\Bergantino NV412 cabinet. :bassist:

18. jackajesusfreak

jackajesusfreak

Mar 5, 2009
    I play a 4004Cii Ric and a 4004L Ric on the upbeat songs, and I play a Peavey BXP Cirrus on the offering and altar songs. Works out really nice.
    Jack

19. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Yellofury, I too, sometimes play through a guitar unit - Pod 2.0 - when I need a little grittier sound for our college-geared service.

20. Normally some variety of HiFi 5-7 string

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021