1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got 10K? What to do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pty-rock, Dec 31, 2006.

1. pty-rock

pty-rock

Jul 31, 2006
    Panama
    Here's the thing: I'm comming into some money next year and want to buy new basses and rigs. I plan on spending up to 10K and want all the suggestions posible.

Now the kiker: I live overseas and can't try any good bases down here. Only have acces to a few MIM fenders, peaveys, Ibanez, Washburns and Yamaha's. But that's not what i'm looking for..

So the question would be, if you had 10k to spend on basses and rigs, what would you buy?

And have a happy new year.

2. Ampeg Svt Cl with a sans amp RBI, Ampef 8x10 classic and to top it all of a stingray. there you go less than 5k.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Buy a moderate sized rig that you can break into smaller pieces for easy travel, then get a G&L. Then save the rest for a rainy day.

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Uh, for that kind of money, the first question I'd throw back at you is, what are you looking for. There are so many wonderful basses out there, as well as amps, that you could pretty much pick and choose as you desire.

Basses I'm partial to are Jerzy Drozd, MTD, and Lakland (in that order). Amps I'm partial to are Phil Jones and Epifani. But, everyone has their own tastes, and what works for me may not work for you.

If you tell us more about what you're looking for, you may get better insight as to what's appropriate for your needs.

Best of luck!

RAM

5. pty-rock

pty-rock

Jul 31, 2006
    Panama
    Well, I love playing rock (hard and fast), but I make my money playing everything but rock! Mostly I play latin style music, with some Jazz, Bossa and other styles.

I currently have a GSR-400 (peavey) which I hate due to the thin neck (i just get terrible cramps when playing with it). and a Fender 62RI Jazz frankenbass, (EMG-J's active and BadAss II).

I play through a Carvin R-1000 conected to a GK-4x10 cab. (I need another cab badly).

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Aggie cabs are fantastic. I play a GK amp, and I get anything I could want out of it. Not saying that it will particularly work for you, but check them out. I was also playing my G&L tonight, and it's very versatile, and very comfy. The necks aren't too thin.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well, with $10k to play with, you can certainly buy a plane ticket to come here to do your shopping, and have it shipped back.

8. pty-rock

pty-rock

Jul 31, 2006
    Panama

Can't get a US visa!!!

9. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    if I had 10Ks I'd go for a rig and a stable of basses that can cover all flavours:

-Ampeg SVP-CL preamp
    -Avalaon U5 Preamp
    -Walter Woods 2.4Kw power amp
    -2 Aguilar GS112 4ohm
    -57RI PBass
    -75RI JBass
    -a bass to cover modern sounds (I'd go for a Zon Sonus or a Lakland Skyline 55-02) or a fretless.

I belive all of this can be had 2nd hand off the TB 'for sale' forum for less than 10,000 bucks and if you know what you want bass wise you could just drop my bass suggestions and get one very high-end bass that suits your taste and needs (again, 2nd hand from a fellow TBer would still keep you under the 10,000 envelope even if your dream bass is a Fodera or a Sadowsky).

10. garth elson

garth elson

Aug 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    If I had 10k, I'd get a used Alembic Stanley Clarke with red LEDs and, of course, series 1 electronics. Mmmmm, then I'd get an Phil Jones cab, complete with like a bajillion speakers and hook that up to an Aguilar DB 750 head. Oh, and then I'd use the remaining funds to rent a marble room in which to play for several hours directly after getting all this stuff.
    But, that's just me.

What may be a good avenue of research with a whopping sum of money like you've got is to simply ask a luthier. They know all sorts of goodies about what nuances can be built into a bass, and are UNDOUBTEDLY better to ask than some fool like me. :bag:

11. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    yeah...gas dreams.

12. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    with the rest of the money id buy a sadowsy 4 string jazz bass with a maple board , an acoustic image clarus series 3 and 2 epifani ul3x10 cabs.

13. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    3 used basses $1200-$1600 x 3
    2 small heads $500 x 2
    2 small used cabs(either 2x10 or 1x12) $400 x 2
    gig bag for 2 basses $150
    good Di box $100
    I would say this is the basic setup for touring/gigging pro's

Dont spend too much
    I get scared carrying $4000+ basses

Or you could go even lower and get 3 used MIJ Fenders and a Sadowsky outboard preamp/Di

14. Meh, this kinda thread belongs to the DB section.:bag:

5K on gear should be plenty. UH, Bergantino/Sadowsky, Aguilar/Sadowsky head, and a Sad. There you go.

i envy you, 10K could cover a lot from my G.A.S list.

15. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    since everyone's taste in tone and feel is different ill comment on "setups" more than specific gear.

so i would get a "gigging rig:. 8x10 ampeg w/ svt cl, 4x10, 4x12 whatever floats your boat... but one gig rig

id also get a small rig. like a Marbass Little Mark2 with a 2x12, 1x15 or 2x10 cab for home practice and double it up as the "small gig rig".

then with the rest of the money id get a couple good basses. prolly a Sterling or Sr4 and maybe a sadowsky.

In US $ that should clock in under 10k but i dunno how much all that would cost in your location

16. pty-rock

pty-rock

Jul 31, 2006
    Panama
    So many suggestions!!!!

What to do?

In the bass department i'm thing 1 lakland skyline DJ 5er and maybe a sadoswki. (But Valenti is looking very good to me at this time).

For rigs: here is the big problem! I have somethings that works. But I want something that really rocks! Epifani's and Avalons are high on my list. But maybe there's something else out there?

17. I would suggest a Mesa head (M-Pulse 600/T-V12/400+) with PJB cabs. Bass-wise, you'd have to try some stuff out, but first off I would suggest Benavente, or their subsidiaries LEJ and Divinity, depending on what you're looking for. You could get two basses and a full rig for under 10k easily.

18. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    A Sadowsky Vintage 5 string, some Aguilar GS212 or 112 cabs and an Ashdown EVO 500!

my Rig :)

19. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    yeah 10k can basically get you almost anything.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Amp wise, without a doubt, two UL310 cabs, with whatever head you want. Depending on what tone you are going for, either get a nice tube head like the Sadowsky one, or a nice solid state like Epifani or Glockenklang.

Bass wise, since you play rock, I would go with a Sadowsky or a Music Man Sterling.

There is no need to spend all $10,000. I am not sure how much all of this would cost you where you are , but over here it will run you around $6000 to $7000.