Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got 2 of the last non-used EB cabs...finally

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Jun 12, 2002.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Finally decided that i'd done enough lookin around and found myself a great deal on a new rig. Here are the details. (pics to come in a little while)

Nady power conditioner
    ART Tube Channel Preamp (yes its a mic preamp, but sounds damned good to me)
    Carvin DCM1000 power amp (i use bridged at 1000 watts 4 ohms)
    EB Musicman 210 cab 8 ohm
    EB Musicman 212 cab 8 ohm

Sounds great, handles all the power I have thrown at it in practice thus far. Got that great guitarcenter blowout price on the cabs too.

I played it with my 4 banger, fat bottom end and pleasant upper range, couldn't be more satisfied.

Then I played it with my 5 string, and it was going good...good...b string FART. I messed around with wattage and eq but with no success. The 212 just farts up a storm with its magnet-impacty-horridness anywhere in the 30-39hz range. Anything above 40 (e string) and the sound is beautiful, but unless i EQ the 30-39hz range down at least 8-10 dB's, its fart city on my 5er.

Mad sub, u'v got two of the 212's. Do u play any 5 string basses w/ yours? Have u ever witnessed the fart? I'd appreciate anybody's advice or input. Maybe i'm just making a stupid mistake somewhere that can be remedied easily.

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Is it farting, or is it bottoming out (a loud clanky-rattly sound)? You said you messed around with wattage - does it still do it if you turn the volume down low? If so then it sounds like the signal is too hot going into the amp?

3. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    i guess i mighta had my terminology mixed up. The sound from the 12's is like the speakers are attempting to throw too far and they're maybe hitting the magnets. its a clackity sound. when they volume's really low its not a problem...but the speakers are supposed to be able to take 600 watts. I'm only putting 500 max into them

4. Hey pal;
    Congrats on the cabs...I am so in live with mine right now. You should check my profile..."Mad sub..." I use a Mesa M-2000, a DBX 120XP Subharmonic synthesizer, various sub-producing filters and boxes and my Alembi-Wick Dolphin5...so yeah, lots of subs, no farts. I push some *serious* bottom and those cabs are actually 800w according to B&C in Italy which is kinda why I scored them so I would have the extra headroom. I clean up my tone sometimes by rolling of the 300hz stuff but play 'em fairly flat (w/ my DBX cranked of course!) You really shouldn't be hearing any farting from these cabs? Try eliminating things through your signal chain...use a different amp if posible. Clipping anywhere else? Seriously...I get incredible fundamental reproduction in these puppies. With all this headroom my tone is huge, fat and wide. Allot of our newest material is very b-string specific and I've had no probs? I play kinda loud too.....

5. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    madsub...should i contact EB and see if they'll....fix something? I dunno really what to do. nothing's clippin, and i tried w/ a few different basses. The ****ty thing is since they're not being made anymore and can't be found new anymore, i can't take it back to guitarcenter and say "trade this broken one for a working one" Suggestions?

6. The sound is definitely coming from one of your 12" speakers, correct? Find out which one. Make sure it isn't the 2x10.....all that kinda stuff. These things are warrantied so don't worry. Worse case scenario you'll just mail th edriver back to EB and they'll send you a new one. They are manufactured by B&C in Italy so maybe email them too? GC service I wouldn't know about...What i do know is that "farting" is almost always the amp.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii

Thats always been my experience too! You might want to try another poweramp before you pull the speaker!

8. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    dangit, sorry for wasting everybody's time....i figured out what i was doing, and now that i know, i'm surprised i didn't kill the 212 cab.

Here's the situation. I had the low shelf accidentally set at 40hz and it was boosted 10dB-12 dB's or so. With another eq knob i was trying to boost my low end (since i didn't know about the shelf) at 30hz a bit because i didn't feel the 212's were puttin out any low end at all. So once i saw that the eq was boosting my 30-40hz range about 20dB's relative to the rest of the frequency curve the speakers it made total sense that at somewhat loud volume the speakers were bottoming out. I got everything properly sensical now, and it's poundin out b string without any problem.

Sorry for wasting you guys' time. I really appreciate the help though.

9. Woah. Trial by fire or what...they still work? Lucky guy. Anyhoo...enjoy 'cause the are wicked cabs (and I've owned 'em all..) I especially dig that smoooooth top.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    DOH!

Ouch. 20dB -> 100x the power :)

I bet it sounded pretty sweet though, at low volumes? :D

11. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    20db's may have been a slight overstatement, but it definately had a combined boost of at least 14 or 15. at low volumes, it sounded....odd. I couldn't figure out why the b string just exploded, but i figured maybe it was because i'd never heard an e or b fundamental before with any strength. (I went from a peavey basic 12 to the rig i'v got now) I'm much happier with the sound now