1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got 2K to blow on a bass, Gassing for a Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DoggBisket, Oct 23, 2013.

1. DoggBisket

DoggBisket

May 3, 2009
    Minnesota
    I've recently come into some $. I've always GASSED for a Musicman Stingray Classic 4. So i went out on a mission to try one out. Out of 4 Guitar Centers in my area only 1 had a classic. It had tone to die for. The setup was only so so. It was ugly mint green with a maple fretboard. I play a Fender Jazz bass right now and the neck on the Stingray was fatter and wider than I'm used to, but I could get used to it. Going price was $1799. It was nice but not $1799 nice. I wanted to try a Sterling but they didn't have one. So that will be next to try before I even consider pulling the trigger. The trick is to find a store that has one. I live in Rochester, MN, and I get up to Minneapolis/St. Paul occasionally.

I'm keeping an eyes on CraigsList and would consider a used one if I see it and the bass sings to me.

So my question to you is. Are there any basses in this price range that have a similar sound (meaty low end) that I might be over looking?

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    Ibanez!

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If you want a Ray, get a Ray. If you do not think a Ray is worth the price of entry, you are not going to think any brand is worth the price of entry aside from foreign stuff. EBMM are priced very reasonably. They are consistent too. There is also a standard Ray for a few hundred less, the Classic is more like an EB Stingray.

Lastly, if you do buy a Ray, buy one used. They can be had for around $800 all day long and are not rare on the used market. Just check TB classifieds.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Contribute $20 to TalkBass which will allow you access to the classified section here. Then you will still have $1980 to spend. On this site, that will net you a really nice Ray and a LOT of change to put in the bank.

5. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I bought my entire rig off of this site with the exception of my 810 that I was lucky enough to find right down the street from me. Well worth the $20 a year.

6. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    +1

I haven't done that, but honestly, that is the best option right. When it comes to me buying a new bass I will probably donate as well, then choose from one of the lovely things they have on hear :)

Anyway, I love 'rays, so look for one if that's what you like

7. Any of the three basses in my sig is EXACTLY what you want
    :)

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Not quite any brand. I've been gassing for a real 'Ray to replace my OLP for some time now. I've looked at few new ones at GC and must admit that I agree that to me they are nice but not $1.8k nice. They are just too specialized for me even though they do what they do VERY well.

So I too decided that the used market was the clear answer. So far I've played a couple but they weren't keepers. So I'm continuing the search. As you note, luckily there are quite a few used ones out there so one of these days I'll score. I do want to play it before I buy, however. In the meantime I'm installing Leo's original active circuit in my OLP.

9. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    I found a mint stingray 4hh for half of your budget. Keep your eyes open. Last year GC in Pittsburgh had a blue sterling new for 1100. Be patient it will happen. For 2k ill deliver mine to u fron canada lol

10. DoggBisket

DoggBisket

May 3, 2009
    Minnesota
    That is what I am thinking. The few I saw on CL up in the Cities were in that price range. If I see a couple that look interesting in the future I might take a run up there and check em out.

I'm pretty stuck on a Classic though if I go for a Ray. It is worth the wait for the right one.

There is quite a price difference between new and used. Buy it new and have the value drop by a grand the minute it goes out the door.

I could take the savings and get a nice rig too

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1000 Buy anything else and you will be miserable I've been there more than a few times.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

For the record OP, you do not need to be a supporting member to view the for sale section, just to post ads or to post in the want to buy section. Supporting membership can be worth to get quick price estimates too.

13. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    +1 to the TalkBass classifieds. The TB community has been GAS and relief for years.

14. +1 again to browsing the TB classifieds. Better selection, plenty of highly reputable people to deal with and an unrivaled knowledge base.

Plus, you can skip the Stingray Classic and pick up a real classic 1979-1980 stingray for less than the reissue (I am not affiliated with the listing):

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/1980-1979-music-man-stingray-1023926/

15. ddhm

ddhm

Mar 18, 2011
    Memphis Tn USA
    1st, TB is the best thing on the net for bass... worth $20 all day, everyday.
    2nd If it's a Ray you want, getcha a used one from here. You'd probably be able to get a back up too for what you have to spend :)

I do understand the Jones for a particular something but if I had 2k to spend, I might look at some other things too. There are sooooo many awesome 4s out there to be had for that price used. I've seen 5k basses go for 2k. Just a thought.

Good luck with whatever you choose,
    Dan

16. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    If you have to get a Ray,I'd suggest getting and HS or HH variant. You'll have the classic Stingray tone,plus 4 other coil combinations to choose from. You can't go wrong!

17. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    He does not need to spend $20 on membership to buy a bass from the classifieds. Only to sell one.
    But yes, there are several beauties in there.

Or, if he wants a new one from GC...you can buy one from the Platinum GC website, they have hundreds in fantastic colors.

18. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    My suggestion is to not judge a bass based on the setup it received at GC (or lack thereof). If you dig it in every other respect, take it home and give it a little setup work. You can always return it if you can't get the setup to your liking.

19. I think I paid a little over a grand for my old one in white , used from guitar center.

20. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    By what you describe, it seems that you would like a Stering better. IMHO, Sterling are lighter than Sting Rays (either Classic or standard), and more comfortable to play. The neck will be narrower, like a Jazz bass. And you can find USA Sterling (not to be confused with the Sterling imports...) on eBay for under $1000 all day long.

Can't go wrong, son.