1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got a $130 repair estimate for 80g iPod Classic

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by warwick.hoy, May 11, 2010.

1. Get it Repaired at $130

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Attempt to Repair it Myself

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Upgrade to a current iPod/iTouch

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Carrots

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    It needs a logic board and new battery. Labor is $35. Logic board quoted at ~$80. Battery ~$13.

I have about 40gigs of music

Should I

Get it repaired?

Try to preform the repair myself?

Upgrade to a current iTouch?

2. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    tough call dude. if it were me, i would just spring for a new one. i have the 160 gb classic and love it. nowhere near filling it up.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  4. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Cool, thanks for the link NJL

5. I would not suggest repairing it yourself because i do not know your level of expertise.

Those ipods are pretty solid, i would probably repair it if it was 100$ but 130$ is tougher to me, i would debate it. My friend had one of those and a crack head stole it, we chased him tell he threw it , it skidded across 10 feet of concrete and worked fine, the new ipods are very fragile looking.

6. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Yeah my soldering skills and mechanical inclination are null but I'm down to learn. I should mention that this is a factory refurb model.

7. yeah i got nearly the same for my 3rd gen nano 8gb :-/
    they told me they are not authorised to fix anything here in India so they will give me a new one for around 100$ or so but i will get a 4th gen model which looks silly to me
    they also said the price is the same even if i have to get a new battery or anything on any ipod even if its a 160gb classic!
    the problem with my ipod is that the wheel and the center button have gone bonkers am wondering if i should get it fixed from another unauthorised shop

8. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I'll sell you my 120 GB classic for $150. Its about a year old, used maybe 20 times, hooked up to my smoke free home stereo through the headphone jack. Never left the house. It has about 30 gigs of music on there already, all rock, pop and country, from mine and my wfie's collection. I'll leave it on there or erase it if you want. I needed something to help me run my business so I got an itouch.

9. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
  10. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    What did you do to it that costs 130 bucks? On a sidenote, I recently turned my classic 80 gig in for repair and got a brand new one back :p

I voted repair yourself. That can be interesting, and you shouldn't pay that much to have it repaired when new ones cost not that much more.

11. woah! if i had the money i'd have bought it already from you. but then if i had the money i'd have bought the audere jz3 first;)

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    They do not offer logic board replacement. The communication I got said that they could not source reliable logic boards which honestly scares me away from having it repaired.

I may take you up on that.

I'm not hard on my stuff. It's never been dropped. I'm not sure what causes a logic board to kaput. I bought it from a small chain CD/DVD/Video Game store called Hastings last September. It's a factory refurbished unit which I think may have contributed to it's short life span.

It did go on one of those iPod speaker docks at work but worked fine for a few days following. I don't know if that's bad for iPods. At home I'll always used it through the headphone jack either through a small mixing board that I use as a headphone amp,...or into a stereo. I don't really

The charge ran out and when I tried to plug it into my computer I got a "1601" error. "An iPod was detected but could not be properly identified". The logic board is the expensive part,...~$80.

13. By parts online and fix it yourself. Anyone who is not an inept primate can figure out how to perform iSurgery. The parts are inexpensive, and you can wind up with more than 80 gigs because you can always put in a bigger HDD or SSD, as well as a new battery. There are lots of places that give DYI instructions, plus it's something fun to do and you can pretend to be a mad scientist.

14. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Still got the original box. I'll throw in an arm band too.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I have a 40GB iPod video that you can have if you want it. The battery isn't perfect, it only lasts about four hours for music, but I keep a mobile USB charger with me when I used it.

-Mike

16. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    As the damage is a malfunction not caused by you, this surely should be fixed for free under some consumer protection law.

17. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If it were me I'd take up one of the offers here.

18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Why not set it on fire?

19. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Cause it's not an iTouch (myself). Nobodies want's to see a burning classic,...it's like taking a trip to Delaware.

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    or imagine being magically whisked away to...

Delaware...

'Hi.... i'm in Delaware.'

[​IMG]