Got a $150 laying around thinking about picking up a SX bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KAOSBass, Oct 18, 2005.

Which SX?

Poll closed Oct 25, 2005.
  1. Jazz Bass...Rosewood FB

36 vote(s)
  2. P-bass....Maple FB

10 vote(s)
  3. P-J Bass

22 vote(s)
  1. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    I've owned several Jazz basses, and one P-bass. I REALLY like the neck of the jazz, but have a soft spot for P's as well.

Which one should I buy?

I'm getting it for something to "fiddle" with until April. ;)
  2. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Get a P Bass with a jazz neck :eyebrow:
  3. I own a SX Jazz (Rosewood) and I also bought a SX P (Maple). If I had to choose one, I would pick rosewood. With the Maple/Maple neck, the fingerboard is a different shade than the neck maple, and it makes for a pretty cheesy look. It's a nice neck, but the look is not exactly what I wanted. The P neck also seemed wider than it was supposed to be, but I've been a jazz guy for a while, so it's probably me.

With a P bass, the maple neck is a better choice based on the tone balance, in my opinion.
  4. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I voted P-J, because that would be my next SX purchase.
  5. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Fretless? Heh heh... :D
  6. If you dig the Jazz neck, get a Jazz.

You have a soft spot for P's? You can always roll off the bridge pup on a Jazz for a fatter tone. I know it's not going to be a P bass, but whatever you do will be a compromise.

Or, as bizzaro said - get a P bass with a J neck :D

7. mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    What happened to the 70's style Jazz (Natural Ash body, Maple FB, black block inlays and binding). I see that they have the 5 String version available at Rondo but not the 4 string anymore.?

Anyhow, I say go with a Jazz.
  8. I was wondering that myself, so I called them. They said they would be getting them, 4 string 70's style J, back in stock in December.
    Go with the Jazz!!!!!!
  9. I'm waiting for the 3TS 70's jazz. I have Dimarzio Ultra J's and a bridge waiting.
  10. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    I wanna see the SX "Geddy" pickup or bridge covers....

That I would buy quickly.
  11. jnmhorn

Jun 28, 2005
    I am about to get the Bass package.

I have played DB for 2 1/2 years and I wanna start on some BG so I think I am gonna get that, so just tell me what you think.

12. KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    bump....still undecided :)