1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got a $150 laying around thinking about picking up a SX bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KAOSBass, Oct 18, 2005.

Which SX?

Poll closed Oct 25, 2005.
  1. Jazz Bass...Rosewood FB

36 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. P-bass....Maple FB

10 vote(s)
    14.7%
  3. P-J Bass

22 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    I've owned several Jazz basses, and one P-bass. I REALLY like the neck of the jazz, but have a soft spot for P's as well.

Which one should I buy?

I'm getting it for something to "fiddle" with until April. ;)

2. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Get a P Bass with a jazz neck :eyebrow:

3. I own a SX Jazz (Rosewood) and I also bought a SX P (Maple). If I had to choose one, I would pick rosewood. With the Maple/Maple neck, the fingerboard is a different shade than the neck maple, and it makes for a pretty cheesy look. It's a nice neck, but the look is not exactly what I wanted. The P neck also seemed wider than it was supposed to be, but I've been a jazz guy for a while, so it's probably me.

With a P bass, the maple neck is a better choice based on the tone balance, in my opinion.

4. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I voted P-J, because that would be my next SX purchase.

5. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Fretless? Heh heh... :D

6. If you dig the Jazz neck, get a Jazz.

You have a soft spot for P's? You can always roll off the bridge pup on a Jazz for a fatter tone. I know it's not going to be a P bass, but whatever you do will be a compromise.

Or, as bizzaro said - get a P bass with a J neck :D

;)

7. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    What happened to the 70's style Jazz (Natural Ash body, Maple FB, black block inlays and binding). I see that they have the 5 String version available at Rondo but not the 4 string anymore.?

Anyhow, I say go with a Jazz.

8. caesarbass

caesarbass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Media producer for Nordstrand Pickups, Wilkins Basses, G&L Guitars and Basses, Marco Basses, Tonecraft Audio, Lemur Music. I also run TheBassHang.com and am a dealer for Ulyate Pickups and Colibri Basses
    I was wondering that myself, so I called them. They said they would be getting them, 4 string 70's style J, back in stock in December.
    Go with the Jazz!!!!!!

9. I'm waiting for the 3TS 70's jazz. I have Dimarzio Ultra J's and a bridge waiting.

10. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    I wanna see the SX "Geddy" Model....no pickup or bridge covers....

That I would buy quickly.

11. jnmhorn

jnmhorn

Jun 28, 2005
    I am about to get the Bass package. http://www.rondomusic.net/spb62k.html

I have played DB for 2 1/2 years and I wanna start on some BG so I think I am gonna get that, so just tell me what you think.

Thanks.

12. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    bump....still undecided :)