Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a 2nd Gs112 today and...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bottomdweller, May 28, 2002.

1. I can't wait to take it to rehearsal tommorow. I loved the sound of one,but two is amazing. It just sounds MUCH thicker and meatier. I couldn't have imagined the difference. The lows are there,and they're tight and punchy,not boomy. I can actually leave the bass flat on my Eden and my bass. I just can't say enough good things about these cabs.
    I do think that people underestimate the ability of one by itself. And I really don't see a situation where 2 won't be more than enough for me. I play mostly medium-sized venues and this will be plenty. I sold my Eden 410XLT to buy these and I'll never regret it. It's almost unbelievable that these sound so good and are so portable. I think we're seeing the future of bass cabs...

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Do they look anything like this? :D
    [​IMG]

These cabs are great. Congrats, and welcome to the 2GS112 club (if there isn't one, there should be).

3. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am a member of the club (the two club)
    They are incredible together.

Now for a new amp for me

-KB

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yo KB.....look up, I think I see your amp!

:D

5. drgregn

drgregn Granddude Supporting Member

May 13, 2002
    Denton, TX
    Second GS-112 coming FedEx tomorrow - I am very happy with the first one, and am looking forward to hooking it up to the Demeter/QSC rig AND the Eden WT-800 to see which one wins:p

6. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Gard, I wish I could afford it. :)

7. Hmmmm...They look suprisingly similar.;) Of course,I don't have the sweet rig sitting on top of mine.:mad: I'm looking to get an Aggie head later on. But,I'm really happy with what I have for the time being. :D

8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Better than one D-410XLT? They couldn't be better than two, right?

9. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have two Epifani T-112s, and, never mind which brand, the "modular 212" concept works great. Ed Friedland loves his pair of Bergantino 112s. Joker uses a Bergantino and Aguilar pair, I believe.

And yes, IMHO, a pair of good 112s can give a good 410 a run for its money.

I use one 112 most of the time, since I play folk and not-so-loud rock, and one speaker has a "focus" in a small/medium room that multiple drivers lose.

But, just like everybody else who has tried it, I am amazed at the large sound when I add the second one.

10. It will probably be fall to winter by the time I'm ready to add my second 1x12 (I already have an Aguilar GS112)... sooo, should I add another Aguilar (I like the warmth and thickness), a Bergi (for additional clarity), or an Epifani (for a more Hi-Fi tone)?

Or... should I try something completely different and add an ACME B-1? It would add speed (a 10" driver instead of a 12"), extended frequency range and Hi-Fi tone (three-way cab instead of two-way)... what do you think?

I've got the time... I'll get the money... for now it's all about the research.

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey!

With all these Forum get togethers we should have our own just for dual 1x12 users... hehe... :D

Tho most of my gigs are in lounges and small clubs, when the venue calls for mo' power, i just rig up my Bergie/Aguilar setup.

at first i thought, it'd be a diffuse sound, cause of the differing designs, but happily found out that each cab adds its own characteristics to the overall sound. the rounded hifi of the Berg coupled with the low mid churny punch of the Aguilar. really interesting. you gotta try it to understand it.

it does look funky, and not as cool as a tower of Aguilar power, but hey, gets the job done for me.

Joe :cool:

but honestly, if money and time permitted, i'd love to have had an all Epi ala bben's setup. smokin'! :D

12. Yeah,I really like the sound better than the 410XLT. But it's all subjective. I doubt that 2 112's could keep up with 2 410's. At least not in volume,etc...

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It really depends. When Dave and I got our rigs together, my DB750 with two GS112s was as loud as his SWR900 with a GS210 and GS212. So, it's not a stretch that with the right power that it couldn't outdo a rig with 2 4x10s. Besides--the other guy will be tired from lugging those big monsters around.... :D

14. My 8-ohm GS212 was not as loud as my old 8-ohm Eden D-410XLT was.. less speakers, and 600 watts power handling vs. 700 watts. I think a pair of GS112s could easily stand up to one 4x10, but then you're talking 4 ohms vs. 8, so it's hard to do a fair comparison.
    Bottom line: the DB750 going into two GS112s is loud as hell!

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    really? wouldnt dave's larger 900 watts coupled with more than twice the speakers, be louder than the pair of 1x12's? i think i'm missing something.

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    If you ran an Acme B-1 in parallel with the Aggie, you would hardly hear the Acme. If you used separate channels you could adjust the volume but you'd be putting about 10x the power into the Acme. I have a B-1 and it sounds good (nice to hear the fundamental on that low B), but is not very loud.

17. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Hello, my name is Sufenta, and I too am addicted to my pair of GS112's. ThumpyThumpy!

18. So geshel... is that because of the large difference in the SPL ratings (102 vs 90)? Wouldn't that also make the Bergantino a bit of a mismatch (102 vs 97)? Oh-oh... I feel an Epifani coming on!!! :D

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yep, and yep. A bit of a mismatch, that 5dB. 12dB is rather huge :) (actually closer to 20 times the power difference).

20. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    A few months ago Aguilar had the GS112 rated at 99db sensitivity on thier website. Then it changed to 102. Hmmmm... They still rock though.