Got A Bass Back In Hands After 30 Years

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mickeyw3340, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Bought my first Bass after being away from it for 30 years yesterday. My heyday being in the late 60's and early 70s. Surprising how quick it comes back, but man are my fingers sore!!!!! Yikes. I have been singing on our church choir for some time. Picked up the directors acoustic guitar a couple of weeks ago strumming around. When I informed here I made a living (to use the word loosley, as most of you know) with the bass at one time, She said you got the job in the group if you want it. After 5 minutes of thought from me, and two weeks of discussion with SWMBO about the budget, I did it. Spent 4 hours last night with some easy 3 chord stuff on CDs. It's really great to be back. Got to tackle first rehearsal with it tonight. Got the willy's about transgressing from the living room to the church tonight. Wish me luck.
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    cool. good luck, welcome back to bass and welcome to talkbass too :).

oh, btw, what's swmbo? i figure "significant" and "other" are some of the letters in there, but what are the others?
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    all the best!!

it's great to revamp an old hobby like playing bass!

welcome back
  4. Cool! Good luck with your new/old endeavor

5. young gentlemen may not understand this, but when you are 56, and on the third wife and been with her for 28 years, it means "She Who Must Be Obeyed". You know...I learned throughout my gigging years that marriage and music don't mix....... that's why I'm on my third wife... I'm hopeing that by doing it in church, and she singing beside me that it won't bust this one up. LOL. Thanks for this great forum. Planning to pony up and become an official member after next payday.
  6. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Hey! I thought I married her!!???!

7. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Welcome Mickey! And welcome back to the wonderful world of bass!!!
    There's a boatload of great players around here that are filled with usefull info that go to great lenths to help out. Enjoy!D
  8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Welcome and isn't it great to be playing again? I came back to bass after 18 years of not playing. Been play now for two years. I can't believe I stayed away for that long. Never again. Anyway welcome back and let us know how the church gig went.
  9. Welcome back, Mickey! And welcome to TalkBass.

For me the absence was ~20 years, (although I fiddled around at home over that time and still had some of my old gear). There is nothing like making music, and no instrument more fun than bass (IMHO).
  10. I'm sure you'll find your Bass gig in your Church P&W band a very fufilling endevour. I just concluded a five year stint this last March playing bass in my church P&W band and loved it. Unfortunately my work schedule forced me to resign.....

Welcome back to bass, good luck at church, I'm sure you'll do great!!
  11. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    welcome to TB, and welcome back to playing bass!

12. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    yeah.. I don't see me ever putting down the bass.. but if i ever do.. it will be a sad world in my own little world.

But anyways, welcome back. feels good doesn't it? :D
  13. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Welcome to TB, and good luck with getting back to playing.

I too had a long hiatus from the Bass (20 years) Bought a Hot Rodded P bass in Jan, Rig in March, and just joined my first band in 22 years!! My fingers were sore too at first, but after working out with a Gripmaster, I can play for hours with no problem. :D I fell like i am 19 again! :cool: :eek:
  14. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Welcome back Mickey, I too had a long layoff amongst other things and decided to play again. It seems soooo much better the second time around.
  15. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Ditto on the welcome.
  16. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Good to see you're back !

My "rest" was for 18 years, whilst I went away and did other things - then for about the last 10 I kept thinking how much I'd like to get back into it.

Finally took the plunge a year ago and bought myself a s0undge@r and am loving playing again - but wish that I'd never been away.

Just need to get that Fender Geddy Lee now....

17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So Mickey, what bass are you diggin on now, 30 years later?
  18. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
  19. It's a Washburn. Bought it used for 150.00 from a used dealer. See my late post about it in another thread..