Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NAF1138, Jun 25, 2001.

1. NAF1138

NAF1138

Jun 19, 2001
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I am soooo, exited. Just got my first bass. Thank you MJB for telling the board about the DeArmond blowout sale at sam ash. I was down by Sam Ash about an hour ago, and, remembering the sale, thought I would stop in and take a look. I sat down and played with a few other guitars, a fender MIM Jazz, a Squire p bass, an ibanez and a yamaha. Then I saw the DeArmond and looked at the price, MJB was right they were insanely cheep. The 4 string with a p and j setup was less than the squire p!! So I talked to the salesman for a bit, and decided to try a five (everyone seems to like them, and almost everyone seems like they are trying to get one, it was great! I liked it as much as the MIM Jazz easily, and felt that it blew the others clean out of the water, also I felt that the wider neck didn't bother me. So I pulled out my wallet and walked out of the store with a gorgeous red one with active electronics, and a gig bag for $220 after taxes. I want to yell from the rooftops I am so happy!! Ok just thought that I would share. Off to learn how to play the dern thing.

Nick

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Congratulations NAF1138!!!! And Welcome to TalkBass as well! Wow, you jumped right to the 5 string! Your like a John Turner Jr!(;) @ JT). Hope you like the bass just as much as you tried it. Im very picky with basses :( But I'm sure youw ill like yours.. Congratulations and welcome to TalkBass! We'll try to help you as much as you can if you need any help!

DM:D

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations, NAF, and welcome to the world of bass playing.

You got a pretty nice bass at a killer price.

Since you got such a great deal, you should have a little money to take a couple of lessons to get you started.

4. sailor

sailor

Jun 10, 2001
    Congratulations! Does this mean us folks who ordered one of the De Armond basses can expect ours soon?

5. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Welcome to the Low End !

6. Hey NAF1138, welcome to talkbass, and congrats on your purchase. I was in Sam Ash (Manhattan)
    Friday evening and saw those DeArmond at those nutty prices. How do they do it?

Good luck with it.
    Mike J.

7. Alright buddy! Good pick on the DeArmond 5-String. I jumped to a 5-string too, just because that's what my teacher had before I bought my first bass. Plus, the feel is a lot nicer and more relaxing on your hand compared to a 4-string (IMHO). Good luck!

8. NightVampZ

NightVampZ

Jun 22, 2001
    Canada
    Lucky! I wish I could get a 5string for 220. But then again, I am in Canada (I assume you are in the United-States?) That's roughly what I paid for my bass and it was used and only a 4 string...

NightVampZ.

9. NAF1138

NAF1138

Jun 19, 2001
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Thanks for the support, I already have lessons set up (gonna start thursday). In the mean time I have been playing around with it, and love it more every time I play!! As for how they did the nutty pricing, when I was in the store I talked to one of the salesguys about it. He said that it had to do with the company just ordering overstock accidentally, so they are blowing it out to try and recover some of the loss. Don't know if thats 100% accurate, but the sale was on all dearmond products, not just the basses. The salesman also said that he didn't expect them to stay in stock for too long, but that just may have been to try and get me to buy. Hope all of you who orderd one get yours soon.

10. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Awesome. I have to check out those DeArmond's. Welcome dude. I saw them online but I think they only had it in blue but I'm not sure.

11. LiL BaSS DuDe

LiL BaSS DuDe Guest

May 15, 2001
    Scotland,
    Wow! Nice bass man!

Hope you have as many fun times as I have with it! Have fun and stick at it! :)

12. Congratulations! How is the B-string on those? I've noticed a couple of different scale lengths on the active models. is yours a 34" or 35"?

13. NAF1138

NAF1138

Jun 19, 2001
    Los Angeles, Ca
    The b string is great, not floppy at all (once I realised I bought it tuned down a step). As for the Scale, well this is kind of embarasing, but I don't know what the scale is or how to figure it out. You tell me how to find out and I'll tell you what it is. Where do I measure from etc. Ok now that I REALLY look like a total dolt of a newbie, I did have my first lesson today. Lots of fun, I didn't realise that my fingering technique that I was practicing with was all wrong! My teach set me strait though. Still loving the bass!

14. Sorry to embarass you, NAf. The scale lenngth is the distance from the nut (the plastic strip with the grooves in it) to the string saddles. The standard length is 34", but some have 29, 30, 32, 35, or 36 inch scales. Of course there IS the Ashbory bass with a whopping 18 inch scale, but this thread seems to be about real basses. ;) The longer the scale length is, the tighter the strings are.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The saddle's will be in different positions if the bass is intonated properly.

The easiest way to get the scale length is to measure the distance from the nut to the 12th fret, and then multiply the result by 2.

For example, a 34" scale bass is 17" from the nut to the 12th fret. 17x2=34.;)

16. bassman2004

bassman2004

Jun 22, 2001
    I'm curious which Yamaha did you try? I'm getting a Yamaha Attitude online and I'm hoping it's a good one. I've heard they're pretty heavy. Does anyone know how the Attitude Plus plays?

17. NAF1138

NAF1138

Jun 19, 2001
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Thanks for the help with the scale thing. I had actually been wondering about it for a while but never cared enough to actually ask. I just measured and, for what its worth, it is a 35. Don't know if you still care, but at least I know now. As for the Yamahas I tried, I only tryed ones in my price range (under $300) wich only left me with one, the RBX270. I liked it ok, but that doesn't really help you with your question about the attitude plus, sorry. I do as a general rule like Yamahas (though admitedly I don't know much about their basses). I find that, with guitars at least, they are inexpensive and usually every bit as good as the "popular", name brand models.

18. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    NAF, congrats on the new bass! My 5 is on order from samash.com so I'll have a little bit of a wait. The DeArmond blowouts are such a great deal its unbelievable! Glad my heads up on the deal helped you get your first bass, enjoy!