1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got a Bone to Pick with SamAsh.Com

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Illbay, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    About three weeks ago I ordered a bunch of stuff from SamAsh.com: A case for my Ibanez SR506, a stand, a keychain-sized metronome, and a bunch of other doo-dads, total cost about $230 with shipping.

I received an email confirmation that said, among other things, "we won't charge your CC until your order ships." Well enough.

I happened to check an hour or so later, and the charge HAD appeared on my credit card, so I assumed they were ready to ship the stuff. However, I got no email confirmation. In the back of my mind I thought "must have gotten caught in the spam-trap," which does happen on occasion.

A week later, still no email confirmation, and still no stuff. I thought to look through the spam trap. Nothing there.

A few more days went by, nothing. I finally decided to call the 800 number. I have to say I didn't have to wait for very long for a "customer service representative" to pick up.

I gave her the order number from the original order confirmation, and then she disappeared of the line for at least five minutes. Came back on, said: "I'm not sure what's going on with this order. I'm going to refer it to my manager to make sure it gets out today."

"Will I receive email confirmation? Can you call me to let me know the resolution?"

"Um, yes, sir, we'll email you. Give me your phone number and we'll call you, too."

A couple more days go by, no email confirmation, no phone call, nothing.

I call the 800 number again. Talk to a DIFFERENT person this time, but pretty much the same result: "I'm not sure what's happening with this order sir, we'll get it out today."

ME: "Look, I heard this two days ago when I called you people. Could I please TALK to the manager?"

SAMASH GUY: "Um, well, manager's not available right now, sir, but I PROMISE she'll get right on this."

ME: "Again, I don't want to be a pain about this [okay, so I lied] but this is the SAME SPIEL I was given before, and I need to know why you have charged my card without sending my order! PLEASE, I want the manager to call me back. And I want you to know that I expect next day delivery for this order, since it's obviously a screw-up on your part."

SAMASH GUY: "Um, okay, sir, let me have your number..."

So another day goes by, and I'm about to call them AGAIN to just cancel the order, when I get the phone call that they've shipped it.

I say "Now, this order SHOULD have been shipped three weeks ago. So I assume you sent it Next Day, right?"

SAMASH GAL: "Um, well, I don't have the information, sir. But if we told you we would [they didn't actually, I guess] then I'm sure we did."

So finally, I get email shipment confirmation. At first I think "good going," as I see it's been sent FedEx. But later, when I click on the TRACKING link, I find it has been sent FedEX GROUND, and won't be here for FIVE DAYS.

So that's nearly a MONTH from the time I place the order (and they charge my CREDIT CARD), to when I take delivery - and that's for an order with nothing backordered, etc.

BOTTOM LINE: I will do no more business with SamAsh.com if I can possibly help it. I cannot believe the lack of customer service savvy that some of these online outfits exhibit.:mad:

2. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Bump!

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

Sam Ash is a rip joint, in my experience.

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Sam Ash rearranged is A SMASH!

Doesn't make sense really, but what the heck.

5. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    A number of companies send purchase info to the CC company or bank (for debit cards). The credit card company and/or bank places a hold on the transaction amount, but don't release the funds until shipping is confirmed. The merchant doesn't place the hold and technically, the credit/debit card is not billed.

Rental cars are the same way. If you rent a car, you have to give a credit card for them to process the rental agreement. The card is not billed, but the deposit amount is put on hold by the credit card company until they recieve a release from the car rental company. And, yes it does appear to be deducted from your available balance even though the money wasn't transferred yet. I don't think there are any interest charges or fees to your account for this. At least, I never saw any on my cards.

6. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    That's not what this was, though. The CC company differentiates between "holds" and charges. And remember, this was nearly two weeks later when I finally contacted them; the CC charge was still there on the CC website. It was a CHARGE, believe me.

And remember also, they never said "oh, it's backordered" or "it's on hold because of ..." Their comment was "gee, I don't know why this hasn't gone out yet. I'll make sure it goes out immediately!"

I've done a LOT of cyber-transactions of this kind (including with SamAsh.com, in fact), and I've NEVER had the thing get "hung up in the system" like this.

I just recalled a comment the first "agent" made in passing: "Oh, they've been redoing the warehouse..." This fits with what others have told me about SamAsh.com and their dealings with them. They tend to come up with weak excuses.

7. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    In that case, you have every right to be upset. Sam Ash is one of the few online music stores that I haven't dealt with. I can only imagine the interest charges for a big ticket item. :eyebrow:

8. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Sam Ash S***s. I used to deal with thm on 48th street back in the day that 48th street was known as the Den of Thieves. i wouldn't deal with them in store, so I avoid them online as well.