Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got A Bunch Of Bass-Related Stuff This Week

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've gotten all this stuff in the past week, and for not much money either (videos were a gift of my lovely wife, pedal on Guitar Center credit, and two free CDS):

Boss RC-20XL Looping Station: Great looping pedal-I made a full review inthis thread

Gary Willis "Progressive Bassics" video: Not particularly instructive unless you're looking into learning Willis' right hand technique. Mostly performances, but that's the main reason I wanted the video.

Victor Wooten "Super Bass Solo Techniques" video: Maybe the least instructive bass instruction video I've ever seen-he covers a lot more ground on the extras of his Bass Day 98 DVD-but again lots of performances, which is why I buy most of the tapes.

Jaco Pastorius "Modern Electric Bass" video: At about twice the length of most instructional videos, it is also more informative that most other videos I've ever seen. Jaco goes through lots of exercises (unfortunately my video didn't come with the sheet music, but I looking for it), and just watching him play even in his declining state is a wonderful sight. Damn cool fretless Jerry Jermott has as well. A definite must-have for instructional tapes.

The Bass Player Fifth Anniversary CD: A generous gift of TB member tappel. Some pretty fantastic tracks on it (Manring, Willis, Pattitucci), and some I'm not so hot about, but there's a good mix of styles, so there's something for everyone.

Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book": I'm only about 50 pages in and my brain is already melting. So much information is packed into this book. Tons of examples, and a pretty clear way of explaining things to those new to theory (I'm not new to it-I'm just terribly unknowledgable about it :D) It is written from a piano player's perspective, so you have to read in treble clef as well, which is a bit unfortunate for me as I have a difficult time reading bass clef alone, and my eyes can't really see all the notes when a chord is placed on the staff. I plan on getting another bass-centric scales/chords/modes book to help translate some of the parts I'm having trouble with. A fantastic book though.

Mike Dimin's "The Chordal Approach" book: This book is more like a personal lesson than anything else. You get started playing right away, and Mike clearly explains ideas about chord substitution. Going step-by-step through a 12-bar blues, it shows you how to use II-V-Is and turnarounds as well as substitutions to turn a blues into a jazz piece. Great practical learning book. It does infer that you know a little theory ahead of time.

Mike Dimin "Live At One Caroline" CD: Came free with the book. A nice, mellow selection of mostly solo bass pieces by Mike. Very enjoyable.

2. Wow that is a geat haul you have there!

Congratulations

Matthew