Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a cab...now for the head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jake15, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I've just ordered a 4x10 from avatar and i'm really excited. Now it's time to buy a head. I have 800$ right now and i need something versital. The cab can handle 1200watts, so over powering the cab won't be a problem.I need something loud, but it has to sound good loud. I've had my eye on the svt-pro-3. Any other suggestions?
    Thanx,
    Jake

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    How about the Ampeg SVP Preamp, and a Carvin DCM 1000 Power amp.

If you get the two used, you should be able to get them both, along with a small rack for your $800.

Then you get versatility, your ampeg tone, and 1000 watts to play with.

3. The very versatile mesa m-pulse amps. The mpulse 360 peakes at 1200W, and I found it louder than the eden 800 world tour.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Do you mean it was louder than one of the the 400 watt stereo sides or it was louder than the bridged 800 watts? I would find the latter hard to believe.

Personally if I had an amp rated at 1200 watts I would want something with an RMS wattage of way more than the 360. I'd try and go with at least a 1000 watt power section. (which points most likely to a rack setup)

Guitar Center currently has the QSC RMX1450 for 399.99. That bridges at over a 1000 watts. If that's not cheap enough for you they also have the QSC RMX850 that puts out 830 watts bridged at 4ohms. If your cab is an 8ohm cab I'd go with the 1450 personally. Those both seem to be nice to your budget though as I've seen good second hand or demo model preamps for 400 bucks (bassnw.com has a second-hand Alembic F1-X for sale now that would fit the budget with a QSC power amp/or call Beaver or Gard at basscentral.com and ask if they have any good second-hand or demo preamps).

that's my two cents
    brad cook