got a call from bill conklin tonight

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Feb 1, 2002.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    bill conklin called me tonight to tell me that finally, my 8 string fretted is done. this thing is going to be awesome. 3 band eq, fully parametric eq, RMC synth/piezo, 36 fret, custom made seymour duncan music man style pickup, fancy quilted walnut body...

here's a pic of the bass in the process of being made...

i'm going to take a road trip to missouri next week and go pick it up. woo hoo!!!
  2. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    That looks awesome man..I think that Walnut absolutely the best looking wood. Well the bass looks amazing. Have a fun roadtrip!
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats!:D That's a beauty!

Why don't you stop in Chicago on your way back and we can jam together???:D
  4. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    36?! frets!

Aye, mi pollipo!

How does that sound/play up past...24?
  5. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    wow, that's really nice. i say this while seething with jealosy, but congrats!
  6. Awesome stuff JT!

I would tell you to come visit me but you don't really know me, I can't play worth a darn, and I'm about 4.5 hours north of where Conklin is located. :)

I've been wanting to take a trip to visit Conklin, but I think that would be a bad idea since I can't afford a custom from him (and I'm sure I'd want one after seeing those beauties in person)!
  7. why don't you just go for the 9 already? :D
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Why not go for the nine? Why, everyone knows that nine is excessive, it's just taking it too far!

9. Wow JT. That is exquisite bass. I like that neck you had made for the other neck on one of your other basses that you are replacing with this one. Did you draw the design for the neck melt and all yourself and send to him for it?

Have a safe trip.
  10. That's a beauty JT, what route are you takin through Missouri? I'd like to see that baby in person.
  11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thanks man. the neck was a replacement neck for this bass...

which used to look like this...

but i designed a new neck to look like the doubleneck. it's cut with lines because i was originally going to make it fretted, but then i changed my mind. i don't really like lines, but the ones on this bass are made of maple, so they blend with the neck pretty well.
  12. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii

Thou Shalt Not Covet
    Thou Shalt Not Covet
    Thou Shalt Not Covet

Congrats...looks sweet!
  13. Gil Escalera

Gil Escalera

Jan 17, 2002
    Upland, CA
    Congrats John. Looking forward to the pics of the completed product. :D
    Bill is a great guy (from my brief encounter with him at Dude's NAMM get-together) and a great creator. I know this one has been a while coming. So... you gonna have it at Nashville? I know Bill said he wasn't going to have a booth, but come on! :cool:

So, when's the hollowbody expected? :p

-- Gil
  14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    sounds pretty good up there. intonation can get a bit dicey, just because of the nature of strings.

originally, i got this one...

(ah, gotta love that flame koa :D) ...with the 36 frets because i was going to experiment with the steve bailey fretless technique where he would fret a note, touch the string at a higher octave of the same note, and then pluck behind it to give an artificial harmonic. when i ordered the fretted, i realized that i really loved the whole vibe with the fretless, everything that was going on with it, and so i wanted a fretted just like it.

i may get into tapping on this thing, although i've not really ever been a fan of that style of playing.

still, though, you haven't lived until you've heard a low F# through a music man style pickup :D. i can't wait.
  15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i was talking to bill tonight about the nashville show. he's getting a bit burned out on the whole namm experience - it's not really helping his business that much anymore. retailers come around and do the usual (southern hick voice on) "say-ven strangs?!? i cain't hardly play 4! i don't rahtly know why some fool'd want say-ven" :rolleyes: ;) so he's probably not going - it's not like he doesn't have enough work to do. he told me tonight that he's working on 5 seperate 9 string basses, along with a bunch of other things, right now.

if he does go, though...i'll probably bring _ALL_ my basses. :D i'll set up my own sub-booth .

i don't know when the wedding bass will be done (i love saying "the wedding bass" :) ) . when i go out there, i'll be picking out a fretboard material for it. i may also be bringing my doubleneck with me to get some major refits (gold hardware, RMC synth/piezos on each neck).

always something hopping down at "jt's extended range bass harem" :rolleyes:
  16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Hey, John- you're out of control, man.
    Have fun in the Ozarks- i played in Branson- .. it was like the Twilight Zone. Last place you'd think a guy would be making 8 & 9 strings basses. It's beautiful country, though, and what better reason to go! - I know the feeling- I'd love to drive out to Woodstock top pick up my measly 635, but Im in Vegas and that's a long way- Enjoy it in good health- its beautiful- whats going on in the figerboard? is that laminated or melted or what?- peace, Adrian
  17. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Hey jt, if you decide to stroll up towards KC, give me a shout.... it's about 3.5 hours from Springfield to KC, and I would love to see that thing in person!

18. JT - It looks incredible! Bill does great work. How are you planning on using the synth?

19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I can't wait for JT to get back to Atlanta. :D

That's some serious lumber, JT. I can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Tell ya what--I'll let you plat my new 8 string fretless curbow when I get it back. Granted, it's only 4 strings doubled, but, dang it, that oughta count.
  20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Time for a new family pic?;)