1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Got a call to play rock music on a yacht...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Rompin Roddy, May 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rompin Roddy

Rompin Roddy

Jun 29, 2016
    Tacony
    ...But I had to turn it down cause I already have a gig booked that day.

Man, the possibilities though...

2. Someone playing actual Yacht Rock! I was looking forward to it.

JimK, rendevouz, mikewalker and 2 others like this.
  3. Rompin Roddy

Rompin Roddy

Jun 29, 2016
    Tacony
    I know! Haha. Now I'm just left to wonder what could have been..

SadMajesticHorseshoecrab-max-1mb.

JimK, DrummerwStrings, McG and 2 others like this.
  4. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I once played "I'm On A Boat" on a boat.

5. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    So, you’re saying... you’ve been waiting for your ship to come in, but you ended up missing the boat?
    Sad story!
    My ship came in, and I was waiting at the airport.

6. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Been there, it was fun. Sorry you missed the gig. Come to think of it I played on a paddle wheel job to once to, it would have been more fun to play up on the top deck instead of inside though, but it was already fall and a bit chilly by then.

Rompin Roddy likes this.
  7. Rompin Roddy

Rompin Roddy

Jun 29, 2016
    Tacony
    Thanks for the moral support guys. Life goes on. There's plenty of other yachts in the sea.

Just curious. How many yachts could a rock yacht rock if a rock yacht could yacht rock?

mikewalker likes this.
  8. And you could have played "If I Had a Boat."

mwbonsall, pklima and Rompin Roddy like this.
  9. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    CSN's "Southern Cross" is the most yacht-y of all yacht rock songs. The lyrics are pretentious as heck!
    First, he name-drops all these cool places he's been, IN HIS YACHT. Brags about how big his YACHT is. ("eighty feet of waterline"). "When you see the southern cross for the first time" it means he's seen it bunches. And don't get me started on the "looking for a woman girl" bits.

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  10. How about a poll?
    :smug:

Rompin Roddy likes this.
  11. Rompin Roddy

Rompin Roddy

Jun 29, 2016
    Tacony
    :laugh::laugh:

12. THUNDERGODX

THUNDERGODX

Mar 29, 2006
    Played on a Sternwheeler on a river once. Looking across the room through the windows at the bank as it went by made a visual effect of slowly rotating iin a circle.
    Seasick on a river??

Rompin Roddy likes this.
  13. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Wow, flashback! I played on the Queen Mary once, in 1977 back when it was moored in San Diego ( I don't think it is still there). I don't recall a single song, but I'm pretty sure I was playing a Hagstrom short-scale through a Standell amp. Most of all, I remember that was a posh boat :)

Bunk McNulty and Rompin Roddy like this.
  14. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Are you sure it was the Queen Mary? She's been permanently moored in Long Beach since 1967.

pablomago, DirtDog and mikewalker like this.
  15. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Playing on boats is a gas. Things to know- The stairways are usually super narrow. Can be a tough load in. Pull your wheels out of cabinets, or put cabs on their sides. A 5 degree lean will have your cab rolling away from you. The sun is much more powerful out on water, and you'll burn fast. Load on the sunscreen.

Bunk McNulty and Rompin Roddy like this.
  16. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Oops I guess it wasn't San Diego then... musta been Long Beach! Was a California tour, from Yreka down to SD - a long time ago, so I don't recall too many details! That explains why I didn't see the QM in SD recently :D

Jhengsman and Microbass like this.
  17. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Oh buoy. Moor often than knot, you can seas the day.

18. I'm too impressed to be mad at this.

DirtDog, mikewalker and Rompin Roddy like this.
  19. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    All true. I used to play Boston Harbor Booze Cruises. Boats do pitch, so everything needs to be battened down, especially PA speakers on stands. For the booze cruises, everything--I mean everything--has to be battened down because drunk people are going to fall into the band, no matter what. No stage, not even a riser, so there's nothing between you and them. And getting smashed is the reason every single person on that boat is there. We did a few dozen of them, and I still think it is miraculous that while people staggered all over pedalboards, no one ever puked on them. Also: Boston Harbor, in particular, features a lot of tall buildings that block the wind. When you are not in front of one of them, your sound literally blows away. Very bizarre feeling.

20. Correct. I've played on it a couple of times for a Scottish Festival that some friends were involved with organizing. The sad thing was, now matter where you went on that huge ship, you couldn't get away from the bagpipers.