Got a Carvin R1000..need help choosing a cab now

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by socalpyropunk, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Ok so my previous rig: Ampeg B2(15" 350 watt @4ohm) on top of an SVT 4x10".

My goal: more powerful rig with much more headroom that I don't have to run on the limiter. better sound. easier to haul for gigs.

my idea: Carvin R1000 (covers the power end of the goal, bought off ebay last night and picking up tommorrow) that for now will be played with the SVT 410 while I sell my 15" B2 combo.

The cab: I'm just looking for recomendations and reasons for the recomendations. I want this to be a rig that is going to last a while. I play in a fast punk band and I really want to cut through the mix. you can listen to my band in my link below. those are old songs and I don't care for the bass too much but you get the idea. My bass is an Ibanez BTB405 if that makes any difference.

I'm thinking about seraching hard for a used 8 ohm Eden 410XLT but I'm very welcome to other options. sorry for the long post.
  2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The Eden sounds like a good bet to me. 700 watts into a pretty efficient cab should cut through the mix pretty well (just don't scoop out all your mids). You could also check out the Aguilar 4-10, and a lot of folks here are high on the Avatar speakers.
  3. The Mesa/Boogie 2x15 cabs are very efficient, i.e. louder for the same amount of power than many other cabs. Unfortunately they don't have specs on their website.

I got one used and with the same head on the same settings, (I A/B tested them) it's *much* louder than the Ampeg SVT 1x15 + 2x10 stack I used before. Handles 600 watts. Did I mention it's louder than ****? No more getting stomped by my guitarist's 120W full stack.

They cost serious bank new but good deals can be found used. I was skeptical that a 2x15 could have high mids and note definition as well as earthquake, but this one sure works for me.
  4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Peavey 4x12 maybe?

Just a thought.:)
  5. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    if youre going to go with one cab i would suggest getting an Eden 410xlt or Aguilar 410 or SWR 610.

what kind of budget are we talking about here?

perhaps a more portable suggestion, get a 2x10 and a 1x15. what -i- would like to hear is a 4x8 with a 1x15. i believe ampeg makes a 4x8. and SWR. might be something to look into.

good luck in your searchings
  6. price range is around about $500 give or take a little. I'll be looking used most likely unless those Avatar cabs turn up to be something great.

I've been seriously thinking that a 4x12" would be great. who all makes them besides peavy. I'd like one that handles a little more power especially if its only available in 4 ohm.

anyone use 2 2x12" setups? if so how do you think that would work.

I'm open to anytihng. I still would like to keep portability and preferably a single cab but maybe with the option of two.

In other words..what would you do. I'm plenty lost
  7. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    If you could score something like a used Eden 410XLT, I don't think you would be disappointed. I have the 210XLT, and even that alone is an awesome cab.

They are kind of pricey brand new, but definitely worth checking out if you can score a used deal. The XLT's handle a B string better than any other 10 loaded cab I've come across too, ymmv. Of course, you'll want to follow your own ears when it comes to sound, I was just really impressed how well Eden's 10 loaded cabs handle the lower register.

A slightly lower priced, but comparable alternative might be the Aguilar cabs. They make a 210, 410, 112, 212, and 115. I've tried the 410 out myself and was impressed. From what I've read on their other cabs, they come highly recommended. Even their 210 brand new would be within your price range, but I would suggest going for at least a 212 or 410.

If you decide to go with a 2 cab setup of anything decent, I think you'll begin to stray well beyond the budget you've outlined above. Sorry to recommend some higher priced cabs, but I have some experience with the ones listed above, and can recommend both Eden and Aguilar without reservations.

For what it's worth, I use Carvin power amplification right now, but I can't really make a recommendation in favor of their cabinets. I also have not tried the Avatars, no comment.

Finally, a 412 is a nice idea, but it would be a bear to move around I bet. A 410 is bad enough, so I shudder to think of adding 2 inches all around. I've never had to move a 412 though, I just imagine it would be a chore.
  8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Can't go wrong with a Goliath III. 700W, tweeter adjustment on back, crisp and clear, industry standard, built like a tank. Feel the love.
  9. sorry I really don't know much about SWR gear. whats i nthe Goliath?
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    if you find one. try the ampeg bxt410HL cabs. I have one and it rocks. Its the victor wooten steve bailey designed cab and I love it. 600 watts rms 1200 watts peak is plenty.. and you could always add anoth 410 or the bxt115hl if you think you need more sound
  11. four ten inch speakers my friend.
  12. well I had my first band practice today with the new amp run bridged 8 ohms intho my SVT 410HE.
    wow. Its such a great improvement I can't wait to get a better cab underneath it. I kept the volume at about 3.5 and use my babsses volume to tune depending on sound need. never come close to running out of head room and have the ability to be the dominating sound. Its a nice change.

I tihnk I'll be good with just a 410 that can handle the power. preferably 8 ohms just incase I want to add.

to the avatar folks: what would you compare their sound reproduction level to. like I know edens are decently louder than my ampeg at the same power. where do you think the avatar fits in. I couldn't find any specs on them
  13. They seem to be less sensitive than the Eden by (my estimate) 3dB or so. You'll probably find them louder than the Ampeg, but less so than the Eden.
  14. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I simply love the Peavey 4x12's! :D I just picked one up for $50 used, hehe, sounds great too! It's a little older, but Peavey's shure do last. Speakers are in great condition as well...and like I said, sounds wonderful!
  15. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    If $500 is your budget try to find a used Bad End 4-10. Try to buy a good high end used cab. It will be worth your money.
  16. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I traded my Aguilar 112's for a Bergantino 3-10 and the bergs really sounded great at my gig this weekend. They really cut thru the mix and sounded smooth. The Aguilar's had great bottom end but the Bergantino throw out more and I actually had to turn down . I highly recommend these cabs. I think the big difference was the 10's because the Aguilar's are quaility cabs.