1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Got a chapman stick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ADU, Feb 21, 2008.

1. well it just looks soo cool so i wanted to know if anyone here has on, if you do whats it like playing it, hard? post some pics of it and add any details i might want to know about it

2. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Not any more. I had one in the late 1980's. Sold it after two years. Man did I suck at it.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I had one and hated it. Replaced it with a Warr - much, much better instrument.

They aren't easy, and not for the faint of heart. I ended up selling my Warr, but plan on having one made for me with a string configuration that will cater to my somewhat peculiar demands.

4. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Stickist.com would be a better place to ask questions about the Stick. Of course everyone there will be a little biased...

5. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Ha ha! I know the feeling. I wanted one for years and the guitarist in my former band bought one, which I got to try out. After attempting to play it for about 5 minutes, I gave up and realized I would never have the patience for it. It is a very cool instrument though, but as a bassist I wouldn't say it's any more bass-friendly than it is guitar or piano-friendly.

6. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I had a Stick in the 80s for a brief time and an NS Stick last year. Hardly have enough time to practice my bass - let alone learn a new instrument. I wasn't too good at the tapping thing - thus my tone/sound kinda sucked. The NS Stick is tuned like a bass so it was easier to get usable stuff out of it.

7. What were your overall impressions of the NS Stick as a bass? I've been thinking about one for a while. It certainly looks like it would make a nice cheap ERB.

8. climb

climb

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    The Chapman Stick (all varieties) is an amazing instrument. No, it's not easy, but I don't really get why somebody should expect to pick it up and be awesome at it within 5 minutes. How many bassists are great during the first 5 minutes of their bass playing? With the Stick, the tuning is foreign at first for bassists, but it certainly has its own logic and works well for the instrument. As for sound and satisfaction, the Stick is simply a beautiful instrument to play and fills the room with a truly distinctive sound that everybody turns their head to check out.

I'd recommend getting one, but remember that it's not a bass and isn't meant to be one. If you really want a bass like instrument, go with the SB8 Chapman Stick Bass. It's tuned in 4ths like a bass, and can even be ordered with bass guitar pattern dot inlays.

Also, the Chapmans are very decent, honest people and pay meticulous attention to their instruments.

9. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I've had a Stick for 20 some odd years. It's a love hate thing for me. It moves in and out of the arsenal depending on the bands I'm playing with. iI is capable of great beauty, but a lot of work to get there and I need to have time to keep up my chops.

if you have patience and discipline get one, if not probably better to put the time into your bass playing.

BTW:
    +1, it's a Mom and Pop business and they are great to deal with.

10. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I you decide to go for a new instrument, get your name on the list. The turnaround has been in the 14 month range. Don't email, call them. It's a great instrument and I hope to get one someday.

11. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    Very Important Information!

12. Mr. BooBoo

Mr. BooBoo

Dec 12, 2007
    Dousman,WI
    use to own a bass stick. Very cool but I realized a month after the purchase I didn't want to do the tapping thing anymore. Ha!
    Sold it and got $500 more than I paid for.

13. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I've had my Stick for longer than I care to admit. If only I had put the bass under the bed and concentrated on it for a few years, I would be a better player. I can get around a bit, but my approach was more in the vein of Tony Levin's work on "I Don't Remember" by Peter Gabriel and Elephant Talk rather than someone like Greg Howard or Steve Adelson. If you check out the Ten Seconds link in my sig and listen to Hole In The Ocean, you can hear me playing it.

14. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Oh, mine is a very early model(#272), before all the great new improvements. The original owner bought it in 1975 after hearing the band Kittyhawk, it then sat under his bed until Elephant Talk brought the instrument into the limelight.

15. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

Levin's work on that Crimson album was awesome. And after seeing him playing it I thought, Uhm.... I don't think so. I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time. Matrock if you can even play a tune on it I commend you sir.

Rezdog

16. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Like I said, listen and judge for yourself. I'm no player like the guys who have committed to the instrument. I just noodle

17. AlunJWDavies

AlunJWDavies

Nov 28, 2007
    Ottawa
    I had one for a few years and I already did the double handed tapping thing on bass so that wasn't a big deal. The tuning was. I ended up doing my own tuning(mixed results). The thing I didn't like about it was the lack of range of sound. There is only so much expression you're going to get out of this thing as compared to bass. I think you would be better off getting a 6(or more?) string and setting it up for low action tapping. That way you could still use bass technique as well. They do look extremely cool though. Mine lived on my wall unit for years.:) If you're one of these guys with money to burn and you want a nice piece of musical art that you bring out occasionally, that's great. But that's probably what it will end up being for you.

18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Or you could get a Warr. They sound 10x better, feel better, and don't look nearly as dorky.

Case in point:

Dork:
    [​IMG]

Rawk:
    [​IMG]

19. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I didn't know Will Ferrell played a Warr