Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a check in the mail for $25,450.40

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It's part of a scam. A person in China got my name through a trade lead website. I received a check from a "letter head" company in Ontario, Canada with instructions on depositing the check and forwarding the proceeds to the contact in China (minus 10% for my trouble.) The check looks very real! It is from a community college in Montana and drawn on a real bank in the same city. I looked them up, called their controller and told them what I had. I scanned the check and the letter and emailed it to them. They are contacting the FBI, but I don't know if there is anything that can be done because both parties are out of the USA.

2. Being originally from Montana, I'm curious as to which community college/city it is. Just general curiousity.

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The account is Flathead Valley Community College in Kalispell, MT. The bank it is drawn on is Glacier Bank in the same city.

4. Interesting...though that's probably one of the worst colleges in the state...

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I did some drywall work on that CC.

-Mike

6. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
  7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    http://www.man1bank0.com/home.cfm

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    sounds a little like that scam that seems to be surfacing on some of the Bassgear.com ads.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer person.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd just deposit the check. Wouldn't spend it, just deposit it, and let it sit. See what happens. If it cleared, and the bank said it was yours, they (scammers) couldn't do anything. They were trying to bilk you, what are they going to, complain to the FBI?

Worst case scenario, They call you four months later, tell you the check was bad; you didn't spend it, you're out nothing. If, after like, 6 months or something, it was still there, then I'd spend it without remorse.

Of course, you'd be playing with a buuunch of fire doing so. I personally wouldn't actually do it. I mean the hypothetical "I" in the preceding paragraphs.

(If I've learned anything, it's know banking laws. Read up on them before attempting such foolishness)

11. That website that was posted, wasn't that guy in a slightly different situation? It had something to do with those "you may already have won" things, but it was mistakingly printed on a real check. I think that's what it was, anyway. I don't have time to check it out.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No, Stinsok got a real check, a negotiable instrument, that's actually bogus. So, it's a real check, but it's not real funds. So, he could deposit the check, only to have it come back a couple weeks later having been bad, and he's out the $25,000 that he in essence "spent" by sending it back to the scammers, only because he wrote a check/MO, he's responsible, not them.

13. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I wonder how many people actually fell that crap.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Few. But, it's a numbers thing. Say you send out 30,000, and nobody bites. Say you send out 50,000, and nobody bites. Say you send out 75,000, and one guy falls for it. You've already made you money back.

Which is how spammers work. Some guy was just busted in...Virginia? Rouchly one hit in 30,000, by his guess, but it still had him making about $850,000 a year.

15. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I guess there are some suckers out there. Every once in a while, I will see on the news where some old person was screwed on the old "Hey, I found this bag of cash" scam. I get emails for the normal Nigerian scam weekly. About twice a month, I get emails from some crook wanting me to sell them a large order of one particular item (30 SM58's, 10 turntables, etc.) and wanting immediate shipment and to pay with a stolen credit card. I just wish there was a way to get in the same room with these people.

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Even if they did catch the perpetrators, the chances of getting them arrested based on your accusation are very slim. Since you didn't follow through and suffered no losses, no crime was committed.

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I thought presenting a bogus check on purpose was a crme of some sort or another?

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Unless there is drastic differnces in the law in the US to UK/Australia, Stinsok couldn't bank the cheque and then, if the bank clears it but later says it was bad, claim the money was his. The reason is that he knows or suspects that the cheque is bogus, therefore it would not be reasonable for him to rely on the banks error without brining it to the attention of the bank.

If on the other hand you banked the cheque and said to the bank "I think this cheque is bogus, can you confirm its real" and they do confirm it, then he would have an argument to keep the money.

FWIW

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    How do you know it's bogus if you don't deposit or cash it? Was it not drawn in a real bank?

Not trying to stump you or anything. I agree that even presenting a "bogus" check should constitute fraud, but it's only fraud if you suffer actual losses. No loss, no crime.

I'm basing this on something a policeman told me based on a few solicitation calls I got last year from a person claiming to represent a law firm, but the less said about that, the better.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can shed some light.