Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Got a couple of Benji's..PSP or not??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, May 3, 2005.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well I got the nod from the boss lady that I can get a PSP if I want. I have had a GameBoy Advance for 2-3 years and use it quite a bit. Seems I do mobil gaming more than at home sometimes. But it would be nice to have a something bigger better, and something I can slap a memory stick with some Sponge Bob re-runs on to appease the kids or watch a movie while taking a trip(train, plane etc).

I see people are able to connect via wireless internet at home etc...very cool.

I have heard something about surfing the web with one....also very cool.

So should I pull the trigger...or is this more hype than what it is worth.

Also what is needed to connect wireless on my home and abroad?? I think it would be cool to surf the web or game from my porch while sipping a barley pop and enjoying the sun and a bit of fragging.

Another thing.....sorry I havent around much since my retirement.

2. OK I've held one but once, and can tell you it is AMAZING. The one problem is that if held at a certain angle for a certain period of time, it apparently shoots the CD's it uses out rather forcefully. I don't really care to know how my computer programmer friends figured THAT one out.

3. I've heard nothing but good things from people who have them, except the cost, but that apparently isn't an issue for you, I'd say yes if you'll use it a lot.

For the wireless thing, you'd prolly have to have a wireless router(like 100-200$ for one that will cover you house, and prolly some of the neighbor's yard, or maybe a WiFi connection?

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    GET IT! Then get Twisted Metal! NOW! DO IT!
    (YMMV)

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Sounds like a twist on a Starsky and Hutch line....Do it!!

Anyone else got any opinions or knowledge on networking this thing?

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    If it has a built in wireless, then like Arikash said, you will need a DSL/Cable Wireless Router. You can pick one up for not too much cash.

Such as: http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=LS-BEFW11S&src=fr

[Edit - That uses the same protocol as the PSP's built in adapter 802.11b]

7. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I've heard of some problems with dead pixels, but seriously, with 8 bajillion of them or whatever, 2 or 3 isnt really a problem. But if you're one of those people that cries for days when they discover the new scratch on their bass, it's something to keep in mind.

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

yeah I heard about the dead pixel thing. Not too worried as I am going to go against my own advice and pay for the Best Buy warranty. It will cover 2 yrs and if I have a problem I just bring it in to exchange it with no questions. if the price drops or new model comes out with other abilities I "problem" might happen then I can get a voucher for the original amount and have a credit for more...stuff. :bag: :eyebrow:

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

I was just replying that I thought it was.....cool for looking it up for me!! :bassist:

10. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Yeah, a coworker and I both bought PSPs at the same time and we both have about 3-5 dead pixels each. It doesn't really bother me though.

Anyway I love mine, I haven't gotten to play anything online but I have Ridge Racer and Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix and they are really cool games. And there are some really awesome games coming out for it before a whole lot longer.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Using the PSP for web browsing is not as simple as buying a router. The PSP does not come with a web browser program on it. If you want to surf the internet, it is going to take you buying a certain game, and knowing how to adjust your internet connection settings. Someone has figured it out, and here is the link if you choose to do it also: PSP Web Browsing

I have tried this, and it does work.

-Mike

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

MJ5150- Does it work pretty smooth?? Or is it really not worth the hassle?? Also what do you use for typing?? Click on the alpha type??

13. If you get that warrantee, I'd imagine dead pixels won't become a problem for you. Unless of course you run into something like this:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2005-03-30&res=l
    :D

I'd say go for it though. They're really, really cool gadgets - I'd get one in a second if I had the spare cash.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I use the onscreen keyboard for typing. You won't get a full fledged browser like on your home PC out of this, but it still works. I was able to get on TB, and a few other sites. I was not able to visit ESPN though. I was able to connect at a Starbucks and move around to a few sites. I wouldn't use my PSP for daily web browsing, but it is definitely a cool secret feature.

It wasn't really much of a hassle for me to configure it, but I work on computer networks for a living. It isn't an overwhelming task, so even a novice can handle it.

-Mike

15. odie

odie Supporting Member

Where I work there is a wireless network open for a 6x6 block area and then some. Just want to check sport scores, news....TB :p and other things. It would be cool to check things out when eating my lunch or waiting for a bus etc.