Got a DB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by elvinstheman, Jun 20, 2005.

1. elvinstheman

Jun 16, 2005
    Seattle, USA
    I just wanted to say that I got a Christopher laminate double bass late last week (renting to own) and I really love it so far. I'm a newbie to DBs so I might not know what I'm talking about but it sounds really good to me. It's a 7/8 and it really seems to growl on the lower notes (I'm using it for "jazz"). I've played several lately and this one felt and sounded as good as any I played, and I played some REALLY expensive instruments. (I decided on a Chrstopher after reading good things about them here.)

I also have to say that dealing with the people at the violin shop was cool too. I'm so used to a Guitar Center environment and this was totally different - I just gave them a few references and three months worth of rent and walked out the door with a great instrument. It's sorta old school that they trust you like that but it was really refreshing. They didn't do a credit check and ask for my SSN or anything. And the guy who "sold" it to me seemed really interested making sure I had a good experience even though I'm a very small fish to them, I'm sure. Anyhow, it just seems like a different world and I guess that makes sense, considering they deal in instruments that have been around for hundreds of years.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for their advice and I'm sure I'll be posting again soon.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you are buying something that costs over $1000, you are no longer a "small fish." What you experienced at that violin shop is the way EVERY music store should operate. Unfortunately, thanks to the WalMart mentality of modern music chains, it's getting harder and harder to find that level of customer service. Oh well, be thankful you have a nice violin shop near you. The closest one to me is 90 minutes away.
  3. JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    Welcome to the DB side of things, and welcome to TalkBass. May you enjoy your life on the darkside. Once here, you can never go back (not that you will ever regret it)! :)
  4. It is true that the double bass is addicting. I have played my bass guitar 15 minutes over the last month and my double bass, hours and hours and hours. Though an infrequent poster, as I am busy playing my bass, welcome.